2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

The message board says Vance needs to go. I guess he is chair is hot.

Case gets paid whether he or not he flops. From my chair, if he never plays beyond this year, he has a nice start on his post-football life. He didnā€™t look sharp, but he has a while to work that out.

Cousins will screw up in Minnesota, and their fans will be on him at some point this season. Just part of a game that gets nearly 24/7/365 coverage. If the Vikings do no better this season than last, will Cousins seem like heā€™s worth paying more than Brady or Rodgers?

He threw 4 passes. One complete, one drop, one over throw and one miss because the primary receiver thought it was a run play. The stats said 1-5. I canā€™t find the 5th pass.

Thereā€™s a national debate show on FS1 and Skip Bayless is one of the more recognized debaters and heā€™s always been a strong backer of Case Keenum going back to his 8 game stint with the Houston pro football team in 2013.

On todayā€™s show Skip is debating that Case will be a better player than even Kirk Cousins in 2018. Now take it with a grain of salt as the nature of these shows is to present highly sharp topics and take sides on them, but Skipā€™s history is consistent and heā€™s one of our bigger Keenum supporters among the national media.

Hereā€™s the full 14 minute clip of the segment from todayā€™s show if you have time to burn at work :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1029030549958971392

5 Likes

Ugh, they closed the link.

This is one of those broken clock moments.

1 Like

I updated the link to one thatā€™s still available.

The show preceding this one with Carter and Nick Wright also covered Keenumā€™s first game but not much value in it other than same old takes from two non-fans. Just search his name and filter to ā€˜todayā€™ and itā€™ll show up.

1 Like

Preciate cha

Thank you for posting. The Broncos better find their ā€œgameā€ quickly. The Broncos Coaching staff is already on a hot seat. Case can help but he canā€™t be effective without a minimum of protection & a game plan tailored to his his game.

Case had a great week at camp from all imbedded reporters posts I read on Twitter and Reddit. In fact coach Joseph said he had an excellent camp overall.

The first team offense is getting a quarter to a quarter and half tomorrow vs Chicago. Starts 8pm CT. Look for the stream on Reddit.

1 Like

I no longer watch the nfl, so I will be looking for a recap here.

3 Likes

Case doesnā€™t kneel. So Iā€™m watching the NFL. Cut your nose off to spite your face. Kill the NFL=no college football.

1 Like

Iā€™m right there with you guys on that.

Itā€™s very paradoxical because while Iā€™ve never been more turned off with the league since that stuff started, Iā€™m such a huge Keenum fan that Iā€™ve pursued all snippets of his coverage since his breakout with Minny.

And it just makes me appreciate the Oilers era even more. It was always about between the lines in the early 90s. Cā€™est la vie

3 Likes

Nah It would just make college football what it was before it became the minor leagues for the NFL. Teams full of players that want an education or just love the sport enough they want to play four more years. Wouldnā€™t be a terrible thing.

1 Like
2 Likes

Iā€™m happy for CK. He is playing for his childhood team. The rest is gravy.

1 Like

Itā€™s nauseating to listen to Nick talk and watch how he constantly looks over to Carter for approval for every little thing he says.

5 Likes

Marginal starting QBā€¦heā€™s changed his tune now from career backup.

2 Likes

But Keenum changed also while at Minnesota. My biggest concern for Keenum was how he handled pressure with the Texans and the Rams. He was being too careful. He was too quick to throw it away and never tried to force anything. That is fine when you are just being an offensive manager of a good running team. What began to happen, is teams realized, if you blitz Keenum, even if you didnā€™t get to him, you put your hands in the air and he will throw it away. People wanted to blame the offensive lines but never bothered to notice Keenum was getting blitzed more than other QBs behind the same line. I was openly critical about that while he was with the Rams. It didnā€™t help either that in Jeff Fischerā€™s history as a head coach, no QB ever put up better numbers with him than with other coaches.

Keenum came to Minnesota, was given another chance and suddenly he took chances. Zimmer made reference to Keenumā€™s ā€œhorseshoe.ā€ So it obviously wasnā€™t Zimmer telling Keenum to take chances. Something changed and it worked. Keenum made opponents pay the first half of the year and the second half of the year, he didnā€™t have to take as many chances because defenses didnā€™t blitz as much.

Keenum went from being the undersized QB that played it safe to the confident starter that gave his teammates chances to make plays. Hopefully a contract and starting preseason as the main guy doesnā€™t have him backslide back to his former pro self. If he maintains his confidence through tough times, continues to let his teammates make plays for him, he can be and remain a top 10 QB in the NFL for several years.

1 Like

Orā€¦ better OC, better OL protection and run blocking, having reliable/trusted WRs that could create separation and make tough catches, etc. I think that had more to do with it vs Keenum deciding to to roll the dice.

Will be interesting to see if Denver OL protection and run blocking is more like Rams or early 2017 Vikings (late 2017 they were banged up and not as effective).