2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

This is what I want:
"5. Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

This pairing has emerged in more than one conversation I have had over the course of the last two weeks and appears to be imminent. The Broncos invested in an offensive tackle with their first round pick last year and continuing to fortify the line would go a long way in getting the most out of new QB Case Keenum."

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft/2018-nfl-mock-draft-mid-april-edition/

1 Like

Thought that too but it seems like he did. He is actually from Bellville.

1 Like

Class of '05 kid that received one offer - from SMU. Kid just flew under the radar of everyone it seems like.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Crazy how he was so athletic in all those sports but flew under the radar. He seems like a Briles kind of guy that is super athletic and they’ll find a spot for him on the team.

Sounds like Von Miller is in
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhucx3NFfgs/

7 Likes
6 Likes

Hilarious, a great sense of humor goes a long way.

Sounds like a plan!

Broncos open to trade
“I have long reported that I don’t get any information leading me to believe Denver is taking a quarterback and the Broncos are very open to a trade. John Elway confirmed the trade part at his press conference Thursday, and if the Broncos did swap picks with the Bills, linebacker Leighton Vander Esch is someone very much on their radar. Fifth overall is too high but in the teens it’s a fit. The most likely trade scenario would involve the Bills moving up to get Rosen if we assume Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are all gone in the top four picks.”

Trying to contact Amy McDaniel. Please pm me with her email address.

I can’t keep up with the whole discussion anymore but doesn’t it seem like this is a pretty weak QB class? Mayfield IS Case — except for the ego. Case’s QB draft class was much better and it seems like a lot of those since have been pretty solid. IDK, maybe I’m way off base. But I hope they go for anybody but QB and I’m not saying that because I’m
afraid of competition for Case.

3 Likes

Either way it’s gonna work out. Keenum has already done the whole ‘waiting for to you to fail so backup gets in’ last two years with Bridgewater and Goff.

Heck at this point it’d probably be a sense of familiarity if he’s got Rosen or Mayfield behind him. Except this time he’s got both the starters salary and role off the bat.

He’ll just play good to excellent ball and Denver will use him like KC did with Alex Smith/Mahomes this offseason - get some value in a trade and go with their top pick.

And Case will land as a starter for another team, armed with a great contract. Smith got 4 years $94million from Wash after being ‘offloaded’ by KC.

If Case were just a place holder, I don’t think he would have gotten the contract he did. I don’t think the Broncos will take another QB – particularly in the first couple of rounds. I think they are looking for a couple of particular players and I am not sure which ones; but if Chubb is not available, I think they will trade down and pick up OL and RB help as well as DE/DB help in 1st 2 rounds. I think Elway realizes he needs to have QB protection or it doesn’t matter who he has back there.

I may be wrong, but none of the QB’s listed as top 5 worthy, really are in my opinion. All the BS and interviews really mean nothing. Some teams don’t even look at the guy they really want and throw up a lot of smoke screens to keep other teams from using info against them. I think Elway is keeping his cards close to his vest and blowing a lot of smoke.

4 Likes

I agree with both of y’all. I’m not convinced Elway is a team-building genius but he gets a lot more credit from me than from a lot of commrents I’ve read/heard. I believe he understands how the “game” is played.

3 Likes

Riley Odoms, Broncos previous No. 5 pick, speaks up for Keenum

It was 46 years ago – can you believe it? – that the Broncos took a tight end out of the University of Houston. The Broncos have enough young tight ends in Jeff Heuerman and Jake Butt but they need to hit at another position like the team did with their first pick in the 1972 draft.

“I know they’re thinking of taking a quarterback but I’m a Case Keenum advocate,’’ Odoms said. “I watched him play at the U of H. If they go quarterback I like Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield. They can sit behind Keenum for two years and then be ready to go. But, I’d like to see them take a running back, myself.’’

6 Likes

That was a great article. It made me remember when my Dad and I were watching a Broncos game and he told me Odoms played for the cougars. I’ve been have some fun on the orangemane.com forum. I’ve reminded them that our Simon Fletcher is in their ring of honor. Those late 70s cougars team will always hold a special place in heart as they represented so many awesome memories from my youth. I love sports!

2 Likes

The Coogs have one player in the Bronco’s Ring of Honor – Simon Fletcher. Fletcher was one of my all time favorite Coogs, but never got the respect due him as a Coog in my opinion. He played at the same time as T. J. Turner who always garnered the press. TJ was a great player and was a lot more flamboyant than Simon. Fletcher was a constant, steady performer who was every bit as good as Turner as a Coog (better in my opinion).

I once talked with CBY and said to him, that while TJ got the press, I really liked Fletcher. Yeoman told me, “I wish I had a whole team of Simon Fletchers.”

2 Likes

Awesome article. Thank you for posting.

Denver Broncos (5) Denver has become really interesting. Early in the process in February, one of my sources said they had legitimate interest in Mayfield. After the Broncos signed Case Keenum, I kind of wrote it off. But someone recently pointed out that Gary Kubiak loves Keenum, and when you watch the tape, you see similarities between Keenum and Mayfield. Mayfield could come in as a backup, learn and develop into a starter down the road. If they don’t take Mayfield (or he’s off the board), I don’t think they love anyone outside of Chubb. If it’s not Mayfield and if Chubb is off the board, look for Denver to try to move down. This draft is loaded with Day 2 talent and the Broncos could look to fill a few holes on their roster with additional picks.

3 Likes

Does McShay, or anyone else, really think that Mayfield will stand to be a backup ever again in his life? Especially to a Coog - after we gave him probably his most embarrassing loss of his career?

Not that anyone should care what he will stand for, but I can’t see the Broncos tolerating an insufferable rookie backup QB.

1 Like

I think they probably need to take Nelson. Their defense has been pretty good. Maybe help on both sides.

1 Like