2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

I really get a Kurt Warner vibe from watching him his last four games - Was, LA, Det, Atl.

All tough opponents and he had great moments (and stats) in every game, not to mention going 4-0.

But truthfully I think he should shop around regardless of how the season ends. I know what the coach is doing not trying to jinx him but week after week being non-committal to him being the guy is really a slap in the face to what’s he’s done.

2 Likes

I understand why they compare him to Warner, the whole comeback story, but a better comparison is Brees - 6’0” and extremely accurate with excellent pocket presence.

2 Likes

I may have to watch pro football again.

Sounds like this Case Keemun dude you guys are talking about might be worth watching :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I don’t think it is. Ive seen my other team, the Dawgs, have older running back names on their jerseys Walker/Gurley etc. Here is one on fanatics with Matt Stafford on it. Fanatics now owns the store by the stadium – ask them.

First time I’ve been interested in the NFL in a long time. I like how fans are just happy to get a win.

You know I’m totally knocking wood but here’s my favorite Warner comparison - Keenum taking them to the Super Bowl completely out of nowhere.

And to say that now in Week 14 isn’t some fantastic wildly thought-out scenario.
He’s not only taken them to 7(really 8) straight wins, beaten several good teams and sure-playoff teams, put up numbers and overcame slow starts, but the team is now sitting at the top of the conference owning the tie-breaker over Philly.

Philly could lose this week at LA, giving the Vikings a give-away game in their last four if needed to retain home-field.

That being said, as the NFL talk show video Pray10 posted today pointed out, I can’t see them losing a home game in the playoffs. Not with that defense, that crowd, and most importantly a motivated, hungry AND by that point proven and hardened Case Keenum.

To the nuts and bolts of it - two really good tests coming up - at Carolina who won the conference in 2015, and then at Packers, who should have Rodgers back. Winning both of those games, I would almost guarantee Case and the Vikes are playing in the Metrodome on Superbowl Sunday.

Stay tuned or start tuning in…this could be an even greater story in two months.

6 Likes

So I should buy my Vikings Keenum Jersey now?

5 Likes

Wait until they give him a new contract. I think they should try to sign him now. From the perspective of the Vikings - If he makes noise in the playoffs, the price is going to skyrocket.

Really interesting situation for Case’s future. There were so many doubters – and he only became the starter as fill-in/back-up. In any event, Zimmer became a believer, despite serious doubters, including more than a few talking heads. Now? Here’s a good analysis.

1 Like

That article is a month out of date, Case blew up in November as we all know. NFC Player of the Month. It’s now gonna be between Case and Teddy IMHO.

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/938120907419258880

6 Likes

Case Keenum spent six years at the University of Houston and helped to get two coaches lucrative jobs in the Big 12 Conference. Art Briles moved to Baylor at the end of the regular season in 2007, and Kevin Sumlin moved to Texas A&M at the end of the 2011 regular season.

Keenum also was indirectly responsible for a firing at Houston — that being Tony Levine, the head coach for the final game of Case’s record-setting career for the Cougars.

“There’s a lot of truth to that,” said Levine, laughing slightly during a phone conversation this week.

The problem was perception: Keenum ran the Cougars’ explosive, no-huddle offense with such precision that people started to believe it was the system more than the quarterback.

And when Levine did not win as often as the Cougars had with Keenum, 21-17 in three seasons, he was fired at the end of the 2014 regular season. Sophomore Greg Ward Jr. had taken over for John O’Korn halfway through that season, and Tom Herman (now well-paid at Texas) was the coach who benefitted most from Ward’s emergence as a star in 2015.

1 Like

They should add a part about how Obrien should be fired for not keeping CK with the Texans.

I can’t wait to snobbishly rant to my Texan friends if CK does well in the playoffs.

6 Likes

Keenum had very little to nothing to do with Briles to Baylor, let’s be honest. Briles didn’t appreciate Keenum and if Briles had stayed at UH he intended to bench Keenum in place of RG3.

3 Likes

Not that you could place any blame on Briles for possibly playing eventual Heisman winning RG3 over Keenum. But it wouldn’t have been a lock. Case was a 68% passer his freshman year. He’d have gotten a fair shake.

1 Like

Perhaps, and just guessing here but I suspect that Briles probably had to make deeper promises to RG3 than he did to Keenum in order to get his commitment.

2 Likes

I have been asking my friend how Tom Savage is doing every week and telling him how Case is doing. It’s fun, you should try it.

6 Likes

I was watching this weeks Vikings game at the local Buffalo Wild Wings in Metarie, La.
There was a crew of Vikings fans who claim they will franchise tag Case & still pick up Teddys option. They feel like their window is next couple seasons.

In 2017, thats @$22 million (for 1st year of tag).
Is that a totally insane thought?
Ive got Coog Colored glasses with a Case tint so I cant be impartial.

3 Likes

$22M for what he’s producing right now is a bargain. I would say that the next 4 games and the playoffs will decide if he gets that.

4 Likes

I posted this a while back, but RGIII did an interview with Baylor’s in-house magazine a few years ago. He said that Briles promised him that Keenum would be moved to wide receiver upon his arrival.