2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

Great points. Zimmer got completely out coached. Foles played great but where was the “heat”? Any QB has a decent chance when his OL is protecting him. Case was under duress the entire game.

2 Likes

Tough loss, but doesn’t put a damper on a great season for Case.

Can’t wait to see what happens next Andy wish him all the success.

I didn’t watch because of my stance on the NFL but followed via gamecast. Per the stats I see and what I read on here it looks like Case didn’t play great but also didn’t have support from the OL, running game, and defense.

Basically the team was outplayed and no one should put blame on Case? I know the talking heads will try no matter what.

The Vikings were out played and out Coached at every level. Is it a surprise? Some could make the argument that they have not played well for six quarters. I have a feeling that opposing Teams started figuring out the Vikings in the Panthers game.
The Vikings were dominant with a mix of the following:
Great OL from the snap to the finalization of the play. This resulted in a well balanced offense. Tight coverage on defense with an aggressive pass rush. Again the entire defense was solid. The last six quarters tell the story. The Saints adjusted at half time. The Eagles figured it out even before the game started. Except for a blown coverage Schwartz had the perfect game plan to dominate the Vikings on all levels. Both Vikings tackles were outmatched. When this happens you have no chance. Not only does it nullify your QB play but it also derails your running game. Blocking TE’s or blocking RB’s? They all made crucial non plays. Case did not play well or would he like to have some throws back? Sure you can argue but could he really? This is where you start hearing questions about Shurmur having his head in Times Square and not in Philly. For six quarters we all saw an unimaginative offense. The Saints and the Eagles went to the “jugular” and took…chances. All receivers were covered you might respond. Fine but what about the running game? The Saints and the Eagles were creative running the ball. The Vikings did not have any surprises in store. At 7-14 this is when the Vikings had to make an adjustment. They had three plays for…five yards. The OL was getting blown out. Case’s fumble? After getting hammered on his right side he gets hammered on his left side. Championship caliber Coaches adjust on the fly. Shurmur and Zimmer did not, never did. Barr was the defensive anchor all season long. Did he play yesterday? Great Coaches isolate key opposing players. When the Saints brought the “heat” on both sides of the ball this reminded me of the Panthers game. Yesterday was no different. Zimmer reminded me of past Chargers Coaches. They Coached ultra conservatively during the playoffs. The Chargers even with great Teams never won the Super Bowl. The same could be said for Andy Reid or others. Kudos to the Eagles Coaching staff. They had their Team and playbook ready to contain and dominate. That reminds me of another Coaching staff in New England. Yes, as a Coach you constantly look for edges. The Vikings did not and Zimmer can only reflect of what he could learn from this.

3 Likes

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Case-Keenum-expected-by-NFL-GMs-to-get-franchise-tag-in-2018-114012080

The scuttlebutt amongst NFL GMs is the Vikings will franchise Keenum.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. That’s what it seemed like just watching the gamecast. It seem like there was no adjustments made and for what I guess as the best comparison pretty much like at U of H game.

1 Like

@shawnterry79 Wow now that you mention it the game last night (after Keenum’s opening TD pass) was almost a mirror image of the USM title game in 2011. And funny enough Minnesota’s OC was said to have taken the Giants coaching job prior to the game. Maybe another symptom of how over-matched the offense was as @92010Coogs posted earlier.

Now, throughout this thread we’ve posted videos of the TV folks praising Case’s performance particularly since mid-season.

I’d invite you to watch this four minute clip from NFL network’s morning show where everyone on the panel gives their thoughts on Case for 2018. Definitely a pick-me-up for those bummed!

4 Likes

It’s an insider piece, so here’s the key takeaway.

Agents and salary-cap managers said on Sunday that they thought Keenum could command a three-year deal worth $48 million to $60 million, with perhaps the first year and change guaranteed. Three years and $54 million with $22 million guaranteed was one agent’s estimate. Insiders weren’t sure how much Keenum’s performance in the NFC Championship Game would affect the outlook, but they suspected supply and demand would work in Keenum’s favor.

Using the franchise or transition tag was another option for the Vikings, though one agent thought the former would be more likely. The transition tag would leave open the door for Shurmur to push for signing Keenum if, as expected, the offensive coordinator becomes the Giants’ next head coach. Insiders cautioned that Giants general manager Dave Gettleman’s recent comments suggesting the team wanted Eli Manning back were subject to change, with it being only January.

Shurmur to Giants is official. I wonder if #7 is next.

Vikings have a huge decision to make: franchise tag Case or let him go and roll with Bridgewater. Surely they won’t give big money to Bradford who can’t play more than 3 games without getting hurt. Bridgewater is also a huge question mark. Case is their safest bet, but they have to be wondering if Case was a one hit wonder this year (we all know the answer, but it seems very few other people do). All I know is Case will be getting paid next year and, as ridiculous as pro-sports money is, I couldn’t be happier for him.

1 Like

Thanks man, I needed that. Definitely a pick me up after all the garbage I was hearing.

1 Like

Watching the various am sports shows, there was little blasting of Case. No QB could take that level of pressure & do much with it.

Chris Long whipped his man & Viks were awful vs the LB/DB blitz.

Great year & looking forward to Case getting his $.

1 Like

Case has taken a Team on his back. He has developed chemistry with the entire Team. Thielen has had a record year. He is now a pro bowler. Keep in mind as the NFL morning anchors have pointed out that he started the year with third stringers and made his way up with the first Team DURING the Season. This is a huge point for any Team and G.M. to think about. How many QB’s come off the bench and flourish like he did? He did. Bridgewater came in with absolutely zero pressure and failed miserably. Practicing and playing are two different worlds. At this time Bradford was out of commission so Bridgewater should have played much better. He did not.
Right now everybody is thinking about last night’s game. So everybody needs to cool off or as Case pointed out to thaw off. In a week or two cooler heads/minds will prevail. From strictly a Coaching point of view or business point of view you want what will make the most sense to your organization. In this case it is the most logical and seamless transition to franchise tag Case. You bring in some competition like every other Team. The salary cap is going to be bigger. The Vikings front office needs to “move” money around and improve their OL. They have a good OL but they were clearly over run by a great pass rush. The fact that the run and the pass were nullified was not a coincidence. The same can be said about their DB’s and linebackers. The Vikings do not want to be the next Cardinals. Regarding Shurmur to the Giants? Think about when you have been offered and accepted an NFL Head Coaching job before you play a pivotal game. There is no way on earth that your mind is not distracted. Did he do a scumlin? I sure hope not but the NFL has to change their rules. Teams can wait another week to three weeks. The current rule makes no sense and only creates speculation in a blow out like yesterday.

4 Likes

File under- “who knows?” but this writer has solid connection with the Bills.

Its looking like they take Okie State QB (or some QB) w 2nd of their 1st round picks. They need a bridge QB.

Two things:

Money will not change Case. He will continue to work his booty off. So if they franchise him, they will get the same preparation he always gives. What that’s worth to them remains to be seen.

Injuries really started adding up for Vikes at the wrong time. Easton out for year after first playoff game. Elflein, who was highly praised for his rookie year performance playing THE MOST important position, knocked out against Philly. Thielen was not full strength, Diggs got two knees to the kidneys early against Philly. The tight ends were beat up. Sendejo coming back from concussion. Who believes that is even possible? Rhodes was out of game with injury on the wide open TD pass to the dude who Newman was guarding. Newman is awesome but there’s a reason he’s a situational player at age 38(?). He’s lost a step.

Case did not play great and I’ve NEVER said this boy played perfectly EVER. But, it was like a perfect storm of injuries, playing away from US Bank and the Eagles being good, as they should be if they’re No 1 seed and in title game.

6 Likes

Franchise tag makes the most sense. Also would allow them to trade him for a pick if, say the Giants, wanted him bad enough.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/955597210636316673

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/casekeenum7/status/955608167995662336

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/955270015284076545

1 Like
1 Like