2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

Dan Patrick interview

6 Likes

Twin Cities article.

1 Like

So we hear/read Case benefited from a system/Shurmur play calling.

Facts:
Case entered training camp with the 2nd to third Team and had to learn a new offense.
He started training with the first Team a few days before the Steelers game
So he barely had any time with Thielen and others.
Before the Bears game he is back to backup.
On the fly he takes control of the Vikings offense and amasses the following stats
TDS: 22 ; INT: 7; YDS: 3,547; RTG: 98.3; 13-3 Record
Beats the Saints, Drew Brees in the playoffs.
Here are the stats for the Saints game:
PASSING YARDS
NO
D. Brees
25-40, 294 YDS, 3 TD, 2 INT
MIN
C. Keenum
25-40, 318 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT

Nearly identical but Case beat Drew Brees.

Facts:
Cousins stats:
Six seasons with the Redskins:
10-6; 3-13; 4-12; 9-7; 8-7; 7-9
Playoffs? Did you say playoffs? Lost in one wild card game. Did he play in other playoff games? NO
So Cousins has played with the same Team and had McVay, SAME OC for three seasons.
His best record is 10-6 and either no playoffs appearances or a wild card playoff loss.

How long has Case been the starter?
How long has Case been playing for the same Team?
How long has Case been playing for the same OC?

Stats? Did you say stats?

4 Likes

The Vikings are dumb if they let Case go. The fans love him, he has shown he can win. All the Vikings need to do is keep building. He will keep improving.

6 Likes

Bad News for Case. Kirk Cousins has said Vikings are his team of Choice. Knowing Vikings head coach, he may opt for cousins.

He may cost a lot more though.

Del, you are correct, I’m led to believe by friends in Minn. Zimmer simply doesn’t believe Case is a starter. Told the news media to quit asking him about who was going to start. Never gave Case full support. Barely an atta-boy. Pity.

1 Like

What kind of O-Line do the Cardinals have?

Why is it bad news? Cousins just ticked off four other Teams. Can someone verify about when Teams can sign or resign players? I might be wrong but I did read somewhere that March 6th is when the agents can go to work. Case said again that he would love to be back. That is not ticking off the other Team but simply saying to the Vikings “Lets make a deal” It is very smart on his part.

Jay Gruden & the Redskins had a chance to sign Cousins how many times? They did not and traded for Smith. Is it a statement on Cousins? You make your opinion. The Redskins surely did. Every NFL Team looking for a QB has to think about THAT statement.
Spotrac has Case’s value at $21.1M now.

Remember friends the NFL is a business. We all love the game but this is not how Teams view it.
Keep in mind that Gary Kubiak is getting his “role” extended" in Denver. This is something to keep an eye on. Case will be cheaper than Cousins so that will allow some critical signings.

1 Like

delmarred

What kind of O-Line do the Cardinals have?

I don’t know at this time but did Kolb get concussions there?

People kept saying Zimmer didn’t give Case his support. Try to find the most positive stuff Zimmer said about Bradford last year or Bridgewater the year before that. All I know is that Keenum had two first half turnovers (not 100% his fault but getting hit is part of the game) and the Vikings were down 24 to 7 and yet Keenum was not benched at halftime. If you really think that Zimmer was just looking for any excuse to bench Keenum, wouldn’t he have done it that game?

1 Like

No mostly he got them in Philly.

Every one of those throws Foles made last night could have been made by Case.

Foles and Brady had great protection and two Coaches that took chances. Both played a fantastic game because they were given the chance to “let it loose” Huge congrats to Foles.
Zimmer and Shurmur had or did neither. The Eagles rushed inside, through the middle and on the outside against the Vikings. The OL was a no match for the Eagles. It is no coincidence that Kyle Long was not able to get to Brady. At times Brady was standing tall five yards away from being touched. The Patriots OL was flawless 99.99% of the game but it took one blown assignment and Brady fumbled. Pederson went pedal to the metal since the playoffs started. He knew he had nothing to lose. He also knows that Belichick constantly takes chances and wants his Team to take the chances. He is the exact opposite of whom he portrays. The difference is an amazing discipline. Very few NFL or College Teams have that same discipline.

4 Likes

not the throw he made to corey clements when he scored that receiving touchdown. brady cant even make that throw.

It’s really going to be interesting once free agency hits. Both Case and Nick took a hit because of the garbage team that the Rams had. They fortunately made it out, landed on much better teams, came from backup positions to lead their team, and definitely increased their value.

Nick said that he would love to be back with the Eagles, but he has his confidence back along with a ring so I think he will be looking for a starter role. Might have an impact on Case both on staying and going.

Foles has another year left on his 2 year $11million contract. He will be a free agent after the 2018 season. Since Wentz is their franchise guy, I wonder if they will trade Foles. Or maybe Foles just became their franchise guy and Wentz would be traded. The Eagles could get a lot for either.

My mistake, I thought the second year was an option year. In that case, Wentz will go back to starter once he is completely rehabbed and they will likely extend Foles’s contract to protect him from free agency next year but also allow them to trade him if Wentz completely recovers.

Interesting that Tomlinson and the Saints Cameron Jordan went with Case.

Keenum was told his name has come up quite a bit in Broncos Country since the regular season ended.

“I’ve come up? Who knows, man? I’m not really experienced at this free agent thing. I was before (last year) but the phone wasn’t ringing so if the phone rings a little bit more, it’d be nice.’’

Is it accurate to say Gary Kubiak was the one who discovered Keenum, or at least believed in him as a potential NFL quarterback? Kubiak was the Houston Texans’ head coach in 2012 when Keenum was signed as an undrafted rookie out of the University of Houston.

“He gave me a shot. No one in the NFL called after the draft besides the Texans. That was coach Kubiak. The amount of football I learned those first two years I can’t even put into words how much he’s meant to me in my career.’’

Make no mistake, Kubiak is the Broncos’ top recruiting tool for Case Keenum.

4 Likes

Case outplayed Cousins earlier this year, supporting cast or no. The upside is that he SHOULD finally get a payday that he’s worked hard for, regardless of where it is. I hope its Minny, but if not, Denver or Phoenix are the best landing spots IMO. So proud of that young man.

4 Likes