2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

Beat me to it!

1 Like

“Vikings: If the Vikings are going to spend more than $24 million to use the franchise tag on quarterback Case Keenum, they should consider breaking the bank on a long-term deal for Kirk Cousins. Or paying less to get A.J. McCarron. Franchise-tagging Keenum comes with a 20-percent bump in 2019 and a 44-percent hike in 2020, which makes it anything but a long-term solution. The transition tag could be an option, allowing the Vikings to keep Keenum at a cheaper rate and giving them a right to match any offer sheet he signs.”

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/965768978453991424

2 Likes

Mostly through the first day of possible franchising. No tag for Keenum (or anyone else) yet. Do you guys think this give credence to the fact that the Vikings might be checking the market on Cousins first? Or just a sign that there’s no need to show their hand early given that they have two more weeks in the franchise window?

They’ll wait and see how the market plays out first. Probably negotiate with Case a bit to see what he’s looking for and check the trade market. No reason to act now.

Case holds the cards. There are not enough good QB’s for the number of Teams needing them. I am not his agent but it is either a franchise tag or a transition tag at a minimum. Case has given up his health for bare minimum contracts. This is his time to get paid. This might be his only chance at it. Cousins has not won a Division (please correct if I am wrong) or won a playoff game. Case did. Enough about so called potential. The NFL is littered with it and with QB’s being paid ten fold what Case has been getting. Right after Cousins gets paid it will be Case’s turn.
In the meantime if the Vikings do not decide on either tag he is as good as gone from the Vikings.
Would Case want to stay with the Vikings? Sure he would but surely not at $15M for one year guaranteed and two more years not guaranteed like it has been reported.
You can be sure that four Teams minimum have already starting negotiating with his agents. A good G.M. has plan A, B and C already figured out.
The Team that intrigues me are the Browns. Their salary cap is “a dream come true” There is enough talent helped with high quality F.A to make the playoffs this upcoming season. Besides four Teams the NFL is a parity league. Good/great G.M. make the difference. In case the Browns offer him $45M guaranteed over two years this is it. The Browns will want to drastically improve at all positions. Would they want to draft a QB? Probably so but remember friends $45M is sure a lot better than $15M guaranteed. He is like every other NFL player. That is right one play away from retirement. We love great stories and so do I but the NFL is a business, a cut throat business.
This

I hope Case values what a team with decent O’line means. Kevin Kolb can testify as to what poor protection does to hopes and career.

Case is smart and I hope he goes for a long career even if it means less money. That is selfish on my part because I want to see him be successful and happy but my idea of the right path might be wrong.

Regardless these are his opportunities and his choices and I am happy to see him in good circumstances.

1 Like

Just to be clear, the Franchise Tag option ends 8 days before free agency starts. My guess as to why Keenum hasn’t been franchised or signed is that the Vikings are feeling out trade offers. If the Vikings decide the $24 million price tag is too steep, they might find another team that wants to give Keenum a shot without battling other teams through free agency and could give up a player or a draft pick.

There is nothing to trade. Keenum is a free agent along with every other QB on the roster except Sloter. They either sign him, transition tag him, or franchise tag him if they want to keep him. I personally think they will transition tag him.

Reading or hearing the National media is truly puzzling.
On one side Case has been accused of being mediocre and being a journeyman bouncing around four Teams.One the other side you have those that claims that he benefited from a great OC, system, defense, great receivers and great OL. Which is which?
It proves one thing without a doubt. An OC should use the best traits of its QB and not try to change him altogether like so many NFL OC’s do. Have a strong OL to protect him instead of exposing him.
The NFL is supposed to be the most advanced sports league. It contradicts itself every Sunday. The “product” has been at times unwatchable. The Texans among many comes to mind. Many NFL owners do not care since they get the TV revenues.
Case needs to have a minimum of a franchise tag or a two years guaranteed contract. That way his Team will be fully invested in him. He has never experienced that. It is time he does. At 30 he is in his prime.

1 Like

They could tag him and then trade his rights to another team for a pick or player. Say the Broncos are really in on him. They could trade a 3rd to the Vikings to tag him and trade him. They could then have Case to try for $24M this year, or work out a long term deal.

Every HC in the league is from the Belechik or Parcells coaching tree. There needs to be some new blood and philosophy. Chip Kelly went too far on the personnel side, but you can see some of his offensive ideas finally permeating the NFL now. Only took the NFL 15 years to pick up on what has worked in college and HS offenses across the board.

I guess you are unfamiliar with how free agency works. He isn’t a free agent until they open up free agency. If the Vikings get a trade offer, they can Franchise tag Keenum then trade him. It’s been done several times in the past.

I am very familiar with free agency, Jimmy, and both of you stated exactly what I stated in your quotes. The only way the Vikings get value in a trade is if they transition tag him or franchise tag him. Until they do, there is no trade value and he is free to negotiate with which ever team he likes.

This is why I said there is nothing to trade, because currently there is no value without a tag. Then I said he should be signed or tagged, whether transition or franchise, otherwise the Vikings are letting him go on a free.

What part of that did you two not get?

You are the one not getting it. Free agency doesn’t start until after the franchising deadline is over. Keenum can talk to whoever he wants but he can’t sign with them yet. The Vikings can talk to whoever they want but they can’t trade him yet. If the Vikings get an offer, they franchise tag him and then trade him. What part do you not understand?

1 Like

You just said the same thing I have been saying. Let me put it in NFL for Dummies for you: The only way the Vikings can trade Keenum is if he signs a new contract or is tagged, because there is no trade value right now. To this point in time, he has not been tagged and he has not signed a new contract, therefore he is destined for free agency.

This should help with the discussions.

2018 NFL Important Dates

Franchise/Transition tag period opens: February 20

NFL Scouting Combine: February 27 - March 5

Franchise/Transition tag period ends: March 6

Legal Tampering period: March 12-14

Free agency and trading begins: March 14, 4pm ET

Deadline for RFAs to sign offer sheets: April 20

Signing bonus spread over two years if released: June 2

Deadline for club to withdraw RFA offer and replace with June 15 Tender (1 year, 110% of previous salary): June 15

Deadline to re-sign franchise player: July 16

Deadline for new team to sign transition player: July 23

3 Likes

No we didn’t. We finished the thought that you left incomplete.

You said nothing about the more important part of the process. Clearly, the Vikings would have a trade partner and terms in place before they’d use the tag in this scenario. Also, the new team would have a fundamental understanding of whether Keenum was interested in a long term deal and what number he’s looking for. Both of those things would happen, back office, before a tag was put in place. In other words, a TRADE would have been negotiated. Go back and finish NFL for Dummies, or at last slow down and try to understand what you’re reading next time.

And there is ABSOLUTELY trade value. The trade value is for the Vikings is value of a pick from another team. The trade value to the other team is exclusive rights to Keenum for $24M next season and exclusive rights to sign him beyond that if that can be negotiated. I really can’t see how this is that complicated unless you’re following exact letter of the law that no GM in the league follows.

You got a love pointless internet discussions . Lol

4 Likes

Exactly, seriously guys come on!!!

1 Like