Cedric Alley?

Next season for now let’s just assume Grimes is gone.

Starters I will go with…
Sasser
Mills
Hinton
White
Gresham
3 off the bench we know of…
Gorham
Tyson
Jarreau

If he can hold his own on defense and the boards I think Powell sees time at center
Alley is there for insurance

That leaves Shead and Mark. I think Shead is a potential RS.
Now if somehow Grimes returns with the rest of the guards I think it is possible Shead and Mark RS but may be hard to keep Mark off the court all season.

Obviously, it would be less frustrating if we had a Coach Sampson presser or media availability for us to parse and gain some insight on his thinking on these issues. My guess, and that is all it is, is that Coach is still happy with Ced’s effort, with Jarreau’s development (factoring in the injury stagnation), but that he is more impressed with Grimes and Mills. In fact, if my box score reading skills have not declined too much, Grimes is averaging over 35 minutes a game. I also think Grimes leads in minutes played - with only Hinton and White north of 30 minutes a game. So I am hopeful that both Ced and Jarreau can impress enough in practice to give the big 3 a bit more a rest. Our schedule - prior to Hawaii - was leisurely - it ramps up - in both frequency and intensity from here.

1 Like

Dejon struggles vs zone, I doubt there is much rope being taken away from Dejon and more that Sampson Understands matchups…

And Dejon gets more rope than Ced because if Dejon figures it out he could be our best player… his ability to get Past an initial defender is elite, even this season… finishing on the help post defender is where he’s struggled

And dejons passing has been elite the last few games especially when we play man teams…people point to his 2 or 3 bad passes a game but ignore the 9-15 great passes he’ll make …

5 Likes

I don’t think he is down on Jarreau. It is simple, Jarreau struggled in the first half and he went another direction. Heck even Hinton and White satthe last 8 min or so.

He will be back out there on the 3rd and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

The icing on the cake to that Washington game is how much confidence it must give our team to finish the game with two true freshman in the backcourt? Gorham at the 4 and Harris/Gresham taking turns at center

2 Likes

If he could do it more often with the ball all the way to the basket, it would be great. He just has a tendency to lose the ball on the way or not making the shot when he gets there lately.

2 Likes

Great info and analysis!

Mark is a monster. Can’t imagine him not playing a role next year. An absolute scoring machine.

I wouldn’t even say he hasn’t lived up to expectations. He was one of the best high school players in the state, but part of that was due to being bigger and more athletic than just about everyone he played against.

As a recruit he was a bit of a tweener and a three star with a couple of “P5” offers (A&M and Tech). Being a rotation player on a team that won 33 games is in line with that. He’s good enough to play. Just not good enough to take minutes from the guys ahead of him right now. If he was a couple of inches taller like Gorham and White my guess is that he’d be getting Gorham’s minutes since he’s a little more versatile. But that extra couple of inches makes a difference.

1 Like

Mark does look to be a really dominating player that could step in at the point. However, I can’t base what he will do here immediately by what he did do in HS, sometimes it takes a kid a while to adjust to the speed, talent, and intensity of high level college ball. I do know that CKS will get all that he can out of him his first year.

Mark is gonna need a couple of cheeseburgers to play the college game.

Alley is a decent college player, plays his butt off. But, he just isn’t skilled enough on the offensive end. Sampson is recruiting better offensive players every year. The best 4 offensive players are 2 sophs and 2 frosh. There will be games where Alley gets decent minutes, like OSU. Unfortunately for Alley for fortunately for UH every year the players that come in get better and better.

It depends on how you define talent. This is without a doubt the deepest team we’ve had and we have some youngsters with a ton of upside, moreso than at any point post PSJ. But last year’s team were probably better basketball players at the college level, in large part simply because the three crucial guys we lost were upperclassmen and they were replaced with underclassmen.

I think the better Barnes comp is good. If Ced was on the first CKS team he’d have been playing 30 minutes a game every night.

3 and D wing would be a path for minutes but I also think if he could consistently shoot 35% from three on 4 or so attempts per game he could also push Gorham and even Fabian for minutes at the 4 as well (or maybe play in some lineups with Fabian at the 5) since he can still guard most fours and his ability to switch and hedge on screens is pretty valuable.

1 Like

Mark is a scoring guard. Not a pure point.
Think Aubrey Coleman, but a better athlete imo

What separated Coleman, who was a tremendous athlete BTW, was his motor.

Very small sample size TOTC. I feel like he started out hitting 3’s last year too. I tend to agree with those who think he should step inside the 3pt line and develop that Fabian mid-range jumper. There’s a lot of opportunity there and it is a much higher percentage shot. He could get 6-10pts a game from there. I also think he has great hustle, he doesn’t make many mistakes, and has an ability to impact the game on the boards with his strength. We are just deep this year and may be even deeper next year at his position. Good for the team, obviously not great for him. Wish he was 6’9 with his skillset.

1 Like

Matt, every report I read lists him as a point guard, so I will assume he is a PG that can also score. What he end up playing here will be up to CKS to decide, and who else he has to play PG. I hope he comes in as a very dominating player regardless, but I never want to get too pumped or put to high of expectations on true freshmen.

BTW, Pete Maravich was a scoring guard, but he was also PG and ran the LSU team. I’m not saying Mark is another Maravich, just that being a PG doesn’t eliminate one from also scoring a lot.

1 Like

Mike his HS roster shows him listed as a SG with 3 of his teammates listed as PG’s.

Dickinson’s players #1, #2 & #5 are all listed as point guards while Mark #3 is listed as a shooting guard by MaxPreps on the thread listing the HS statistics for our three incoming recruits.

1 Like

OK, but 247 lists him as a PG. Since that site and this are all I usually look at, thats who I based on.
https://247sports.com/Player/Tramon-Mark-46048234/

So I started looking at other sites and Rivals does list him as an SG.

ESPN lists him as a small forward.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230227/tramon-mark

Sounds very versatile.

1 Like

He is a guy who can score and also handle the ball. Doubt with Shead, Mills and Sasser he plays the point anytime soon. And by classification Grimes and Jarreau can both return.

1 Like

The PG for Dickinson is a Northern Colorado commit, Marcus Williams. Mark is a scoring guard, who likes to play above the rim. Streaky 3 point shooter and Sampson will have to work on his D. Most explosive athlete we’ve had in sometime. Very exiting player.