Ch 2 investigation into UH athletic department over UH soccer Thabo cases (update: current players respond to JD)

The way the story was presented was ridiculous. They said “UH must clean house” like 8 times. That implies more than coach and trainers. So where does it end? AD? VP? President? Yes, it is a terrible situation, but perspective is important. Also, I don’t agree with presenting the AD in such a negative light because he replied with the contact of someone public relations. It simply isn’t his role to make statements to the media, especially in cases where there may be pending litigation.
If the players involved decide to sue the university, that’s certainly within their rights. I have no issue with that. I just hate sensationalistic journalism.

2 Likes

I disagree, win together / lose together. In military we called it blanket parties and it built incredibly tight unit but I realize college sports is not a matter of life and death, nor should it be

1 Like

Yep, it’s definitely a hit piece…luckily it’s on KPRC which is like the lowest rated news broadcast in the city I believe. They’ve been a tabloid news station for decades and it hasn’t worked yet.

Calling for UH to “clean house” is stupid and is probably coming from someone threatened by UH (lot of candidates). My guess is that it leads to Coach Bocanegra Leaving, 1-2 admin folks being let go, and UH making a statement that the athletes’ health is of the utmost importance (if this is all substantiated). Would suck as I think he’s done a good job of turning around a moribund program, but If what was done is true, that’s just stupid on his part. Remember that Pezman didn’t hire Bocanegra so I doubt he’s going to spend too long fighting for him.

Also, besides the potential lawsuits from players, I would also be fearful of a wrongful termination suit coming from the S&C coach that was let go. He was made the scapegoat initially and he may not have been the one that deserved the lion share of the blame.

3 Likes

Yeah he’s definitely raised the on the field standard. Its a low bar to clear, but his 2 years might be our best in program history considering the step up in conference affiliation.

Sometimes you see telltale signs of a new coach burning out players, especially the ones from a previous (not very successful) staff and as someone who follows the program closer than the average Coog fan I think the roster attrition has been quite minimal.

It can be true independently that this story definitely feels like a “hit piece” and there were multiple people who dropped the ball big time in this case.

1 Like

Yes, these are bad facts, and yes mistakes were made…
But this is a hit piece.
Again, our media sucks.

1 Like

Military is different because screw-ups can be and often are matters of life and death. The group discipline pulls people together because we don’t choose who’s in our squad or platoon (I was in the Army) so to stay alive the squared away troopers help the struggling ones so hopefully no one dies from stupidity. And, it does build camaraderie in a MILITARY unit. But nothing in civilian life is like the military and to think that civilians should respond to group punishment the way military units do is bad psychology, imo.

3 Likes

Yes, when the story broke, I thought it was odd that an S&C coach was involved in any way in team discipline.

1 Like

Makes sense to me. How many times have you heard a coach say that the S&C coach is also the “culture coach”?

1 Like

Little “group therapy” is a highly motivating tool IMO, builds the “we not me”. In no way am I endorsing run them till they drop and puke like bitd. I do respectfully have to say that many things in military life have crossed over into the civi world, at least for me. Being a jock and then artillery/infantry it was a very similar mindset to me…all about being one and having each others back. The lack of discipline and respect by some is shocking to me. I’ve personally seen kids tell coaches FU numerous times. Then when the kids gets either disciplined or the boot mommy and daddy go running to the administrators with the “coach doesn’t like my kid or it’s not fair” Then the cancer is allowed back and you have a split team with a bunch of in-fighting in the locker room and the stands.

3 Likes

There is a lot of fantasy going on in this dialogue. My only interest is this Channel 2 “investigative
team”. Did they care when nine different criminal acts were committed by Longhorn football
players in the last couple of years under Mack? In the military “team” means giving up your
individuality in the name of battle readiness. In the university you try to develop the ability to
think with originality and that means open inquiry and no intimidation.

3 Likes

Thank YOU JMCOOG!!!

1 Like

What I don’t understand is not one player left the team. In addition they just had a really good recruiting class. Doesn’t make sense to me.

6 Likes

Definitely could be one player that isn’t happy and trying to get rid of the Coach. Probably best to wait for the internal review. Guessing they’ll interview every player, if they haven’t already, and see what they get told.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the baseball dad that had a woody for Nobles head with the War and Peace epic blog meltdown

2 Likes

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

1 Like

Ch 2 has it again as the second news story at 5.

2 Likes

Dont watch them…

2 Likes

Slow news day. Nothing new reported.
#GoCoogs!

This should be moved to a different lobby. Bad impression. Makes me think the football team did something wrong.

JD’s tweets just now really makes KPRC look like they have an axe to grind and that there’s a player on the team that isn’t happy and didn’t like coach.

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1139332245242744837?s=21
https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1139332571156963328?s=21
https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1139333196951248896?s=21
https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1139333623348432896?s=21
https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1139333955872854017?s=21
https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1139341192133582848?s=21

1 Like