Cheap shot on Allen

He’s hit by Tulsa defender-helmet to helmet- no call by officials. He immediately reaches for his head when he’s hit and goes out of the game.

I didn’t think it was a cheap shot. I also don’t think he was a defenseless receiver. Hope he is okay.

RULES

Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

Allen put his head down. They teach players not to do that because it leaves your neck vulnerable.

Also, he was not defenseless. He was moving upfield.

You can’t lead with the crown of the helmet ever, defenseless or not.

4 Likes

From an alum who was at the game, I don’t think it was targeting. He grabbed the base of his neck, not his head. Allen has shown a tendency to lower his head, I believe that is a mistake on his part.

1 Like

Herman was giving the refs a piece of his mind after that play.

1 Like

It was a penalty and 10 times worse than the targeting call on us. For those who don’t think it was a penalty, read the rule book.

3 Likes

I have not seen the replay…only what I saw live. The key here is crown of helmet. He definitely was not defenseless.

At minimum, that play should have been reviewed for targeting by the booth. The refs missed a few big calls, including the face mask on Ward at the end of the first half. That happened right in front of the officials.

1 Like

100% correct. Allen needs to correct his game. This should have been an automatic ejection. As the tv commentators mentioned the rule is also there to protect the defensive player. Remember head trauma happens in these situations. Players pay the price later.

Herman lost his mind when the ref confirmed the targeting call on our guy.

1 Like

You guys are only looking at the expanded targeting call which was added on for defenseless players. Go back and look at the original rule which is still in place. SACoog has it in his post.