Chris Harris - The Emergence

Agreed! Guy V is the best till proven otherwise!! Now if Kelvin wins a Natty for us we can talk about it

5 Likes

Development? Let’s see, Guy took an African soccer player and made him into a star. He took Clyde Drexler, whom nobody else but Sam Houston State offered, and made him into a star. He took Reid Gettys, who nobody else wanted, and made him into our all time assist leader. He took us to the final four with the 2nd lowest rated recruits in the SWC. He took those guys and molded them into a force.

I really do like Sampson and think he is a great coach. But Guy is, and always will be, my guy as far as UH basketball is concerned. He put us on the map and gave us the history that CKS uses in recruiting as something for recruits to get us back to. Guy V Lewis is the bedrock of UH basketball.

10 Likes

The improvement from Armoni’s 1st year to his 2nd year was the most improved I recall…but I’m splitting hairs.

The question I ask myself is this…
If this year’s Sampson had coached PSJ in the NC State game, would we have won?
I believe so.

I have great respect and admiration for the accomplishments and achievements of GVL, but…
of the five (5) NCAA Final Fours and one NIT Final Four we participated in, we came away with no NC. IMO, Sampson would have coached us to at least one or more NC.

1 Like

Sampson has been to final four with OU, he didn’t win it, it’s not easy to win a championship in ANYTHING, even in T-ball, lol, no guarantee he would have or WILL win one here

1 Like

FIFY

1 Like

Apparently some folks aren’t watching our BB program’s development and the development of our players very closely. This isn’t anything remotely like the environment was back in the 1970’s or 1980’s when we had far less competition in BB recruiting & exposure.

40 years ago, we didn’t have (i) ESPN promoting the P5 teams/conferences while putting down the non P5 (so-called mid-majors), (ii) the huge (10x) funding gap between P5 television contracts and the mid-major contracts, (iii) the TV-funded ability to pay huge salaries that allows the P5 programs to hire away just about any good/great coach from any non P5 program, and (iv) the shoe company sponsored summer leagues that helps fund and steer all of the top players into their select P5 programs.

What Sampson has done under these circumstances is nothing short of miraculous. He’s had the UH administration invest in the program at a minimum requisite level to have a decent chance to compete. Then he has implemented a first class player development program, including strength training, nutrition and basketball court instructions that is second to none.

At this point in time, it seems to me that the last big piece of the puzzle is to raise/commit the requisite funds to make him and his family feel truly respected/appreciated (ie: at the top tier for a non-P5 BB coaching staff) and allow him to recruit competitively at a national level.

6 Likes

You’re going to take this as a slight to Sampson, but the P5 narrative doesn’t play the same way in hoops as it does in football. And while UH doesn’t get the revenue of lots of larger schools, I wouldn’t say the university has only invested at the minimum requisite level. UH has done a pretty great job in supporting the program with the new practice facility, getting the FC built and making sure the coaching staff is pretty competitively compensated.

2 Likes

Compare the wins and losses and it is weirdly close between Guy V and CKS. It is like they are the same coach. Guy has more final fours.

Next year the transfer Gorham will make 11 on the roster plus walk ons and any other recruits CKS brings in. That roster is freaking loaded. .

2 Likes

Can someone give a report on Gorham. I know nothing about him except that he is a transfer from somewhere and he can play next season.

I think CKS was the reason for a lot of this. Fertitta and Renu made it happen with CKS providing the impetus.

Can someone tell me how many scholly’s you can have on Roster-- 12? Where’s pray10 when u need him, hope he’s doing better.

I echo the requests for info on Gorham

Oh for sure. I was just saying that the University has been stepping up its support and was doing more than just the minimal amount.

Limit is 13. As of now we are 2 under the limit for next season. I think we either add a 1 year player and/or we take in a transfer who will sit and practice like Gorham this season.

1 Like

If we are going to add a grad transfer to give us some experience for 1 season the red headed kid from TCU will be a perfect match.

Last Fall CKS praised Gorham and I seem to recall said something like best inside player on the team. Don’t quote me there, but it did appear on this board I’m pretty sure. He’s about 6-8.

2 Likes

Gorham is a rebounder and shooter with three point range.

1 Like

Friend of mine went to a practice recently and was really impressed with Justin. I know the coaches are excited about his prospects