Chronicle

If by solid, you mean good for use as toilet paper in an outhouse, then maybe so. Otherwise, not so much.

8 Likes

I am surprised they published his name in the HC. They have kept names private to the public, even my son doesn’t know those that were positive. I am glad he is doing well and ready for camp though.

5 Likes

Just stopped my Chron subscription last month. Couldn’t take it anymore.

7 Likes

rvcoog,
I saw the ad on line and read in another national newspaper that the China Today ad was purchased by the People’s Republic of China (PRC) in major papers across the nation for positive PR in lieu of COVID and to counter anti China sentiment. With the major consulate here and the Chinese population in Houston it would surely run in the Chronicle. It was a purchased ad not written by the Chronicle.

3 Likes

Published this afternoon:

1 Like

Article reads: “For starters, with the two campuses less than six miles apart, it will lighten the financial impact at a time when schools are making cuts due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Six miles struck me as way too far — I remember reading that UH & Rice are the two closest D1 schools — so I measured with Google maps from Scott & Wheeler to Sunset & Main — 2.48 miles as the crow flies.

2 Likes

Round trip?

1 Like

When our commish was interviewed last week, he said the non-conference games were up to each individual member school. This week he says there is talk of conference plus 2 non-conference games which could push back the BYU game to a future date. I like the concept of playing all games you can versus being limited to a set number by the conference.

I did like this statement: "“No question there is uncertainty,” Aresco said. “Life is filled with uncertainty and you have to navigate it.” I get tired of all those give up artists that see a challenge and want to run from it and they give 1000 reasons why something shouldn’t be or can’t be done.

4 Likes

Its been rated as one of the top 5 in the country. Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Washington Post, USA Today, LA Times etc

I thought everyone knew this

WSJ is by far the best. Hands down.

The rest have endured significant crediability issues especially the NYTs most recently. Last week in fact demonstrates they are under dark times. But will stop there to avoid anything political. But definitely not good days at NYTs.

3 Likes

The NY Times daily podcast is one of the best there is, I don’t read their online publication as much anymore as I have the WSJ for that.

2.5 < 6, so it is a true statement. Also true to say that UH and Rice are located less than one thousand miles apart.

:wink: :nerd_face: :mask:

4 Likes

I don’t even read that paper. Coogfans is my news source and the local news channels as well.

1 Like

Wow! I need to start reading posts in areas other than Football and Basketball.

Happy?

**Coog81 (Martin) your post was so right and filled with indisputable facts it bears repeating (with my minor annotations)
I cancelled the chronicle about one (in my case 20) years ago after they kept reprinting political garbage by the NY Times and Washington Post. I have also not watched late night TV talk shows in about two (in my case 12) years ago. Too much political bias and propaganda. Unfortunately media has been taken over by those with radical agendas. I have also quit sports talk radio. Don’t miss the bullcrap there as well. I actually enjoy comedies and old time movies and such (Me too and the history, military and heroes channels and crime shows on ID. Yes I spend time on UH sports boards but little time elsewhere. Frankly I am not interested in this shortened MLB and restarted NBA seasons. And IF the NFL continues down the path it tried before I will tune them out. People are free to do what they want. And I am free to tune them and their leagues out. **

4 Likes

Always preferred the Post back in the day, because the Chronicle has always been too conservative, so it’s funny to see people complaining about the Chronicle being too…whatever. The corporate media is all conservative, in the end, and pretty much useless. It’s not an accident that MSNBC went full attack on Bernie Sanders when he won a few early primaries. The media keeps us focused on meaningless stuff while the really important issues never get discussed.

2 Likes

Guess I define Conservative different from you !

3 Likes

I do need some sports and ASAP. So tired of the cable stations and all the crap being broadcasted these days. Not a surprise that the History Channel has had huge rating increases.

We do need professional sports to execute well. The better they execute with these trials this summer with the MLB and the NBA and the NFL this fall the more probable collegiate sports execute this fall or later.

Looking forward to some Astros baseball. I need it and I would like to see them shove it up the rears of the rest of the MLB, especially to the Yanks and Dodgers. BOB and the Texans bore me, and the NBA has gone too political and when you add in their hypocritical relationship with China I probably will not watch much if at all.

1 Like

No issue with the other sports leagues sucking up to China? MLB has been pushing super hard lately and is actively helping China grow baseball. They are sending money to China. At least the NBA its all going the other way, its tons of money flowing into the US from China. I thought that is exactly what you want in a relationship with a rival country? No trade deficit for the NBA.

I do find it funny that politicians are telling athletes they need to fix world issues that politicians haven’t done anything about for years, lol.

1 Like