Cincy firing Brannen

So. I take it you won’t be a fan of Kellen Sampson when he takes over here?

Personally I would rather Kellen take a head coaching job prior to taking over at U of H. But that is just me. I love the whole Sampson family thing but there is a difference between being the head coach and being the assistant.

The old man started at Montana Tech.

4 Likes

Who do you think would have been better? Indiana hasn’t been a power in a long time so I never bought some of the big names that were brought up by the media for them. An NBA guy could be the boost they need. They went with the “smart” hire last time and it got them nothing. Miller had 4 straight tourney appearances averaging 26 wins a year at Dayton. An argument could be made to go back that route though.

At UNC, you have a former NBA player who has been groomed for almost a decade to take over the job. I am confused about anybody not liking that hire.

1 Like

North Carolina could have had anyone. There is not a coach in America that is turning down that job.

Ever heard of Bill Guthridge?

Indiana? Who knows. They sanctimoniously live in 1976 so it isn’t as a good of job as they seem to think. But that doesn’t make a failed NBA coach a good hire.

Beilein would be one of my top targets if I were Indiana, UC, etc. but takes two to tango

I personally think basketball hires are based on who takes a team deep into the tourney instead of the whole body of work. There are a lot of good coaches in places that don’t make tournament runs that given a good job would be excellent.

The difference is that Kelvin was named HC at Montana Tech with just 2 years experience as a GA at Michigan State and was still green as a gourd. Kellen has been a GA at OU, assistant at OU and SFA, and an assistant at UH and has 15 years of experience with the last seven being groomed by his dad. HC at Montana Tech made Kelvin learn on the fly; Kellen has had a proper apprenticeship and I think he is ready to be a head coach. It remains to be seen if he will wait for Kelvin to retire or if he takes another HC job before that.

2 Likes

I hope it is a family dynasty that matches what Mr. and Mrs. Ming started. But if it were me I would promise Kellen the job and let him take the Sam job or the UTSA job, or UT-Arlington just to get him some first chair experience. I suspect he is really good, so he would probably take any of those schools into the tournament. Then he takes the UH job. That is just me. Better for Kellen in my opinion as well.

1 Like

Would Sampson turn it down today, I think so he doesn’t want to start over

I disagree i don’t think taking a job at some southland or swac school will do much for him if he is truly the coach in waiting.

I think Kelvin will coach another 8 years. In the next four or five years we will win a Natty. At that point Kellen needs to coach a program and get some experience and then take over. White needs to be a head coach too.

1 Like

Well ill say tony Bennett did pretty at Washington state when he took over for his dad!

I think Kellen is learning everything he needs to be a successful head coach right here at UH. As I recall someone that I know once made the comment - “don’t mess with happy!” I’m good with that.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, has a coach in waiting that is a son ever worked out?

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a BB coach at UH that is even better than coach Guy V Lewis?

Tony Bennett at Washington state is one i pointed out.

Yep. Hadn’t even thought of that. The Knights are the most famous and it just seemed he never could live up to pops.

1 Like

large enough sample size to get any kind of meaningful result?? what are we talking 2, 3 cases

Yeah. I can only think of two cases. Pat Knight and Tony Bennett.

Edit. Scott Drew coached under his dad, Homer at Valpo.

Drew probably would have worked out at Valpo when he replaced his dad. But he bolted after 1 yr there n headed to School in Waco and has done pretty pretty good. Been a week now but some poster on here said Baylor was going to be one hit wonder. Even b4 this yr he was very successful at Baylor. Thk it was 2010 & 2012 where he lost in Sweet 16 n or Elite 8 to eventual Natl Champ. COVID year 2019/20 they were going to be one of the favorites also to Win it all.