City Tournament

I didn’t propose anything. Since we already have 4-5 games a year against weak opponents there could be a Houston challenge. Doesn’t have to be round robin. You could do Rice/Hbu winner play UH/TSU winner.

We’re playing them anyway, why not save on travel costs by playing lower level teams withiut the travel?

Because we’re not going to any of those gyms other than Rice. The lower level teams we play are all at home, other than Rice.

Our OOC road games this year are at Rice, Oregon, and South Carolina. Last year it was BYU and Ok State.

We’re not replacing games like that to go play at TSU, PVAMU, and HBU.

Even playing at Rice is questionable, but I like the series and I am in favor of that.

1 Like

Uh… not NO, but hell NO !

No.

The people in Philly actually care about hoops is why it works. Houston is a terrible college basketball town so it wouldn’t work here.

4 Likes

Don’t forget University of St. Thomas.

1 Like

Shelby Metcalf is the only good thing associated with A&M, ever. I worked in Hofheinz in those days and got to talk to him (listen, mostly) a few times. He was a true character and a very nice man.

2 Likes

It would he cool., but it should be held at The Fertitta Center every season. I like the idea but I also don’t have any great expectations it being a huge attraction from the fans

1 Like

Have a DH at Toyota Center. UH and get another school with a large alumni base in Houston (aTm, Tech, LSU) and bring in 2 good teams.

Why UH and TSU won’t play is odd considering TSU has proven to win against similar teams across the country in the past. I’ve heard about a gentlemen’s agreement as one reason but who knows.

And UH ain’t going to those gyms as the game changes overnight as they went to PV in 2010 and lost. Those environments aren’t what they used to seeing and oddly enough some coaches don’t want their kids to see that as it has a major impact on the game. Seeing 7500 watching tsu and Prairie View At TSU in February is different than UH and Rice in a gym.

In reality everyone in houston needs to play each other as no one is bigger than each other. This isn’t a big basketball area and any local interest is good but egos get in the way.

Why is a promoter bringing tennessee tech to the Toyota center?

I’d propose a Houston classic. UH, UT, ATM, and rotate maybe Rice, UTSA, TSU, PVAM. It would draw very well. Years ago we used to have a tournament in Houston. I believe it was played at the Summit.

1 Like

When I was there, 1981-85 we had a Christmas Classic. It was at the Hof…

The Prairie View road loss was in 2012. We also played TSU at Hofheinz that year and won by 3 in overtime. We played at Texas A&M CC and won by 2 that year as well. We also won by 2 on the road against 9-20 (3-14 in the WAC) San Jose State.

That team had Danuel House, Joe Young, and Tashawn Thomas. The coach of those teams was a very nice guy but is no longer here.

1 Like

You’re being too kind.

That coach was a very nice guy, but he SUCKED as a coach.

1 Like

If we truly lower ourselves to playing that Division III program (as Rice is apparently doing this year), then we have truly lost all self-respect.

Good luck with that !

The Kettle Classic…with entertainment by the Salvation Army Band and tambourine ladies!

1 Like

Philly doesn’t have a tournament. The Big Five (Penn, Temple, Villanova, St Joe’s, Lasalle) play a round robin schedule. They used to play the games at the Palestra but I am not sure that is the case anymore. The best record of the round robin schedule is the unofficial champion of the big 5.

I have been to games in the Palestra. Penn used to have a tradition of the fans throwing streamers on the court after their first score. I don’t know if they do or not anymore.

A school from Philly’s big 5 has made it to the NCAA tournament each of the last 42 years.

Is Drexel in that round robin as well?