Clemson ahead of The OSU and OU

True, but they also made $4.3M from the ACC last year, keep all of their bowl revenue, and have other side deals because they don’t have to share. They also get all of their home games on NBC at times they want, schedule who they want, and will make quite a bit from the ACC Network when it goes online. Even if they make less, Notre Dame doesn’t need the extra money as they are flush with cash.

sarkcoog20h
If things go the way they are currently, you will have the following.

ACC - One loss Clemson or Undefeated Miami
SEC - One loss and one undefeated, Georgia & Alabama
B1G - One loss Ohio State or undefeated Wisconsin
Big 12 - One loss Oklahoma or TCU or OSU
PAC 12 - One loss Washington or someone with two losses
Notre Dame - One loss

Actually it would be two loss NC State or undefeated Miami from the ACC if things stay the way they are now. That may well be different by 6pm on Saturday, but for now those are the teams leading their respective halves of the ACC.

I just want to know, why does Notre Dame get special treatment? The last time they won a Major bowl game was in 1995. They don’t belong in the playoff. I just don’t get the romance with Notre Dame.

2 Likes

Traditional Bias?

1 Like

Good question

Sounds like the soccer world cup. I would be against destroying the conferences we have. Death of SWC was a sad day. Lost rivalries, tradition, engendered long-lasting ill-will off the field.

We, the fans, should demand the NCAA take charge of the situation and get us a proper playoff with a proper champion and proper trophy. They can do that and still maintain the conference traditions that remain.

Indeed, it was.

Don’t forget, Miami and Notre Dame are squaring off before the season ends.

Why are any of you surprised by this?
We have this discussion every year with the same result.
The CFP is run by the top of the cartel.
THIS IS A SCAM
What everyone should ask is "Why are we accepting this?"
Just imagine if a petition is sent to the major networks demanding for a true playoff?
Let say this petition is signed by millions. Would that petition go unnoticed?
What people want is pretty simple. A fair playoff representing all conferences. You have 11 and you add five "at large entries"
It is simple, fair, rewards conference champions, rewards true accomplishments but you know what else it accomplishes?
THE END OF THE P5 AS WE KNOW IT AND THE END OF THE CARTEL.

My thoughts exactly but I think the petition should go to the NCAA. They run the tournaments in other sports. I get that the football bowls started as a way to make money, celebrate New Year’s Day and all that. But we all know that the cartel can still rake it in even after a true playoff is established. The NCAA needs to grow a pair and take over the FBS championship.

But you count 11 conferences? I count 10 who’d I miss?

The ncaa is in the middle of the problem. They sanction the cartel? They are part of the cartel.
I counted the Independents as “a” conference. So it is either 10 or 11 then 5 or 6 at large.
It seems as if EVERYONE is accepting the status quo. Without “rattling” the cage nothing will happen.
Realignment later on in 2024-25? That is unfortunately wishful thinking.
The real question in this is why even have conferences if the champion means nothing.
Demanding a 16 teams CFP with each of the 10/11 conference champions and 5/6 at large “extinguishes” the cartel.

There would have to be a petition sent to the NCAA about setting up an official Division 1 FBS national championship playoff. But teams won’t want to join the NCAA sponsored playoff because the payout won’t be as much. The NCAA can’t choke the CFP like it did the NIT in basketball without being sued by TV network.
TV network would be for a larger playoff if it meant they got a share of the content to place on their network. This is why the idea for a G5 playoff could bring more money in for G5 programs. TV networks want live sports content.

I agree the NCAA is complicit and people there are probably getting kick-backs for letting things alone. Still, they are the ones to complain to, not the networks or the conferences.

Best way to effect change is to not watch any of the games on TV or internet. Go to them live or listen on the radio. The cartel only understands money and if we don’t give them ours, then that gets their attention.

There are only 4 independents now. I don’t think that should qualify as a league. 10 conference champs plus next six highest ranked gives the independents plenty of chance to qualify. Not that Army and UMass ever would by ND and BYU could.

Control of TV rights and thus control of the games and the payouts to schools was removed form the NCAA by the federal courts. If you want to blame someone for the current state of college football then you have to the Supreme Court and not the NCAA.

1 Like

Not blaming the NCAA, just saying that if the G5 want change they have to petition the NCAA since they are the sanctioning body. As for the Supreme court ruling on TV rights, all that did was secure funds for programs that had the fan base that required TV deals. Even before the CFP and BCS only one Mid Major conference team has ever won a National title and that was BYU in 1984. This Cartel was established by schools and only reinforced by TV networks.
If UH had won a National title or two in the late 80’s and early 90’s, UH would be in a power 5 conference right now.

They are the sanctioning body in that they get to set the rules of the game and the eligibility to participate. The schools control their media right absolutely and the schools are the ones that created the BCS and now the 4 team playoff. The NCAA is powerless in this matter. If the NCAA did try to do something the Money 5 would just separate from the NCAA and create their own sanctioning body.

But if the NCAA had an official NCAA sanctioned post season to name a National champion for D1 FBS and recognize only that Champion as the true D1 Champion rather than the CFP champion that could change things.

1 Like

The Money 5 would leave the NCAA completely and form their own sanctioning body. Then there would never be a single champion. There would be a champion for the g 6 teams that remained in the NCAA and a champion for the money 5. Who do you think the media would crown as the true champion of college football. This is not about the fans or fairness. This is about money and the money 5 and the media control the money and intend to continue to control the money

Exactly. If the NCAA held an officially sanctioned FBS (Div 1A) Championship Playoff then the Blue Bloods would be FORCED to participate.

What do I mean by that?

If the P5 teams said “screw you NCAA, we will form our OWN playoff”, then I can tell you what will happen.
Georgia beat Bama
Wisconsin beat OHio St.
Washington St. Beats USC
TCU beats OU.
Norte Dame…who knows.

So the bracket is set. Georgia v Wisconsin, TCU v Washington St.

Bama starts to cry they are the best team…or better than Wazzu. OSU cries they are better than Wazzu or TCU. Norte Dame cries they are left out.
NONE of these teams want to participate in the NCAA sanctioned Playoff.

Who cares?
Bama because they still think, despite the loss they are the best team. ND wants in because they had a hard schedule and we’re just excluded. OU because they beat a team that beat TCU. Or a team that won in the regular season who lost the rematch. Basically every team that got shafted like Penn State did last year. They won their conference and the team they beat went to the CFP.

So while the P5 plays off with team people think may or may not be the best, the NCAA gets the “runner-up” or excluded outright conference champ plus all of the champs from the AAC, MWC, MAC, SBC, CUSA…and some at large teams that they think are deserving.

After a few years they will morph into one CFB playoff with Conference Winners being guaranteed slots. Even if the current P5 expand to 8 team playoff the 16 team playoff will be more intriguing. But the NCAA would really need to catch the P5 while they are at 4 teams. Then they can announce a true NCAA champ who made it through the gauntlets that included EVERY team in the FBS.

2 Likes

What the NCAA would do is make it an 8 team playoff made up of conference Champions. The G5 conference champions would join without hesitation, the power 5 conference champions who are left out from CFP would join the NCAA playoff.
For example this year, there’s a small chance that Bama and Georgia make it to the CFP. Notre Dame could possibly make it this year. That means 2 power 5 conference champions are left out. Those teams would then join the NCAA tournament in order to validate their season.
Also do you really believe that schools like Wake Forest, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Pudue would tag along with this defection from the NCAA? What about basketball schools like Kansas and Kentucky? Would they leave March Madness for this football power league? Eventually things would get lopsided in a power league with schools like Alabama and Ohio State having resources to buy recruits.
There’s only about 4 blue blood programs that have a legitimate shot to win a National title and they are, Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Oklahoma. Everyone else is just in their way. Notre Dame, Michigan and Texas are just brands not blue bloods and eventually in this power league they would get exposed.

1 Like