Coach Brian Johnson to Florida

We started dogging the play calling (ie Johnson) in that Arizona game thread.

Him moving on validated all that criticism 3 months ago

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I think the offense will improve substantially – mostly for reasons that have little to do with the OC change – but it’ll be the same offense at its core.

UH football is too large an operation for that. He needs to find a good OC.

1 Like

My thoughts on this
 Johnson was struggling, CMA had to step in a couple times this season to make adjustments because Johnson wasn’t getting it done. Johnson saw the writing on the wall or maybe CMA already indicated he would bring in a co-OC.

Bottom line - Johnson didn’t have a future here, and I bet he knew it.

1 Like

I was meaning just for the ball game, I thought that was what he was asking. I completely agree though, there is no way you can pull double duty in college football and be successful like that.

1 Like

On the surface the move doesn’t really make sense. He was the quarterbacks coach for Dan Mullen. then he leaves to become the offensive coordinator and play caller with us. Then he leaves to go back being the quarterbacks coach for Dan Mullen. Seems like there’s more to the story than what we actually know.

Wish him well, but Houston’s offense should have been much better with the tools he had at his disposal.

3 Likes

Would be great to see changes on the defensive side of the ball as well. Ed’s final year should be special with a trip to NYC.

1 Like

He won The Outland
that wasn’t special? I wouldn’t say the defense scheme hurt him
he was voted best interior lineman. Smh

4 Likes

I agree, the move is weird and there is a lot more going on than we know. Kind of makes you wonder if CMA wasn’t happy with things so it was a mutual thing to part ways. Or something else completely.

1 Like

To hear the news that he is no longer with us is not shocking but how he is leaving or what he is leaving for us is surprising. Like Alexogar was saying, we’re missing something.

2 Likes

I will never go after Coaches from U of H.I will point out that a few days have passed since our regular season ended. It has given an “early” evaluation time for CMA to evaluate his Coaching staff. It is evident that since the first game in Arizona CMA and Johnson were not on the same page on multiple occasions. You can go after a defense in multiple ways with varying success. Our Offense was rarely in sync the entire season. That is on Coaches. We failed with our fundamentals in countless games. That is on the Coaches. I also felt that our QB’s were “lost” at times. Getting “erratic” playing from three QB’s is not a coincidence. Even today King has shown just a glimpse of what he can do to me. I expect much more in a few months. Like everything else we learn from experiences I wish Mr. Johnson the best and build from this. I have mentioned it multiple times. It is time to bring back Jason Phillips into the mold. Oregon State did very poorly. Would he accept a position in our Offense? I have no idea if he sees eye to eye with CMA but it would sure help recruit.

2 Likes

Florida asst $ pool was $5 million this year. UH was $2 mill.
As per USA Today

I hate to say this, but the stepping stone continues.
For those who did not like our 1st year O.C., you got your wish. It will be very interesting who we get as a replacement. Heavens, I long for loyalty and the good old days of Yeoman and Fouke, who loved it here. I hate the coming and going.

There’s no question Johnson is getting more $ at Fla. There’s also no question Johnson was advised to look for work. I suggest you reread Opie’s parting statement. That wasn’t the statement of someone who was sad to see Johnson leave. Increased money or not, taking a position as QB coach, when your prior position was as the OC, is a demotion, and every school will view it that way. That’s the reality when folks hire and fire.

4 Likes

He made 440 at UH as coordinator Florida had position coaches makin 500
if he’s Mullen’s boy, he will probably get 550 to 600. Their prior OC was also QB coach and making 1.1 mil base

Yeah I view as demotion. Kliff and Dana turned this into a head coaching job making millions. If mutual, hopefully the next guy will be announced shortly.

He took the soft landing. No one wants to take a step down like that in their career. Looking forward to our new OC.

This is the 3rd offensive assistant Major has replaced.

Darren Hiller OL
Darrell Wyatt WR
Brian Johnson QB/OC

Among the initial hires, Casey and Pope are the only ones left on the offensive side. After 12 months.

1 Like