Coach Brian Johnson to Florida

I thought the parting statement by applewhite was curious also-very matter of fact. Usually there is a lot of praise of how great a job the guy did,etc but none of that-basically he’s moved on and we are a great job and will make a good hire.

1 Like

Let me see if I get this right. Guy is OC at school X in a G-5 conference and takes a “demotion” to to become QB coach in the Conference ranked as the best. Gets more money and a couple of years to continue to develop into an top level OC or can move to a lower level conference HC. And, that’s a demotion. Perhaps, Johnson reflected on his need to gain more experience with the big boys. Or, like being a regional manager for “Parker Oil” and being demoted to area assistant manager for that little oil company Exxon. What if the new OC still runs CMA plays? Good luck to OC Brian Johnson.

1 Like

Somewhat concerning, especially when his motto when he brought in the staff was “I want people that want to be here” and “I want to do this right.”

3 Likes

This tells me that CMA “friends” are either busy somewhere else or he needs new ones. I am being harsh but I never understood why he hired quite a few Coaches with very little experience. We are not a “learning” program. He has the time to do it now. It is very concerning and you can be sure that Mr. Fertitta is fully aware of what is going on. Let’s all hope this is for the better.

His whole staffing was "rookie " as expected. IMO there was a lack of due diligence and thoughtfulness in his hrirings. . If I’m going to war I want experienced veterans who can help me out by knowing and doing their jobs. As a rookie HC I have to make the best “hires” that I can. In war and on the ffootball field I need experienced leadership who can make the adjustmentment needed to overcome my opponent and our own weaknesses. Like many rookie hires I suspect friendship and familiarity won out over competence/ experience. This lack of experience IMO cost us games. i.e. * Lack of and huge decline in reliever corp blocking skills. An emphasis on receiver blocking, focus on turnovers etc , all have led to a decline in success.

3 Likes

Except you left out the fact he was already a qb coach in the conference considered the best to become our OC only to leave after one year to go back to being a qb coach in the same conference. I guess if he thought being a qb coach for Mullen in the sec was so much better than being our OC why leave in the first place?

Also, why are people assuming he will make more money at Florida. According to a SB Nation article dated 7/28/17 (I’m not good with posting links) which lists most of the Florida assistants salaries for 2017, it’s no guarantee he will make more there as qb coach. Their OC Doug Nussmeier did make $540k (basically what Todd Orlando made here) but he was OC. Their DB coach Corey Bell and their OL coach Brad Davis each made $290k. Their running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider made $335k. I couldn’t find numbers for the rest except DC Randy Shannon who made quite a bit more. So, based on the position coaches listed above it’s quite like Johnson will receive less than the $440k he made as OC this year.

Replacement candidates?

Junior Adams - former Boise State passing game coordinator and now Western Kentucy OC

Graham Harrell - Texas high school star, former Texas Tech QB, Washington State receiver coach, now North Texas OC
http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/graham_harrell_996275.html

So next year, we get too see just who is orchestrating the offense. If we start slow, i don’t want to hear, “it takes time to get everyone on the same page” !!

1 Like

So you don’t want to hear common sense?

Herman didn’t put up with common sense

I’d take a look at Buster Faulkner at Arkansas State. http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=210632632

1 Like

Nussmeier listed in USA Today at $1.1 million…OC and QBs

That the same 6-6 Herman?

1 Like

We need defensive changes asap.

OC from Toledo.

2 Likes

Toledo OC: Brian Wright

what kind of offense does he run?

I know it won’t happen right NOW but I’m curious what our fanbase would say if we hired a triple option OC?

Yes. Brian Wright.

IIRC, Toledo (and most of the MAC) runs a Pistol offense. Not terribly dissimilar from what we’re running now, but definitely different enough to be exciting.