Coach Brian Johnson to Florida

I also left out that he was coming home by coming to Houston. He grew up and played under Dick Olin at Baytown Lee.

No. They don’t run the pistol. The QB is in full shotgun. They run a balanced spread with a lot of motion and misdirection.

1 Like

Graham Harrell would be interesting
 UNT to Houston would be a nice step up. I’d probably have him on the short list.

Is Doug Meacham tired of losing up at Kansas?

1 Like

Brian Wright looks like a home run. Broyles award nominee. Houston native.

1 Like

Where are you finding that he’s a Houston native? his bio says he attended HS in Ohio and was born in NC

Do you think they look at this board to see who we want. That’d be cool. If they fire one of the offensive assistant coaches from the texans id like to pick them up. Someone with NFL connections. Can i dream if he retires get former UH Football players to be on our staff. Wade Phillips Defensive Co and Keenum Offensive Co. In a few years of course with Applewhite as HC. Maybe even bump up James Casey

Will the replacement hire have to wait until the new VP/AD is in place?

Please be Brian Wright. Been hoping he will come for the past few weeks!

It’s a demotion because he lost play calling duties, to except a role he already had with the same staff here was with before. That’s not furthering your career, that’s your old boss taking you back.

2 Likes

I introduced them to each other on Twitter

https://twitter.com/cary_mueller/status/940245663983505408

5 Likes

start the movement: #TeamHarrell

Wouldn’t mind Graham Harrell either

https://twitter.com/cary_mueller/status/940252626603606017

1 Like

Harrell makes $250k, we paid Johnson $440k.

Wright makes $146k
 no I’m not kidding.

NDSU and SHSU both have terrific OCs. I hope we look a somebody with imagination.

2 Likes

Let’s replace the OC who simplified the offense for players to master( even though they didn’t execute the plays correctly enough). Then, let’s start over with a more complex offense (since that equates to non-boring). After all of that, we better score 50 a game or fans will be asking for a change at OC again. lol

Whoever we hire will be handed the same play-sheet as BJ. They’re not bringing their own offense, they’ll be calling Major’s as well.

1 Like

It will be CMA’s offense, but people can still tweak it. That is actually why FAU was supposed to have done so well on offense this year is that it was a hybrid of Briles’ offense and Kiffin.
Taking our current offense and adding a little wrinkle to it could be a great thing.

You’re making some leaps here. I don’t think anyone here would call the Air Raid “boring,” for example, and it’s sure as hell not complex. Offense isn’t a spectrum with “complex” at one end and “boring” at the other.

I’d argue that if your players can’t get the offense down (at least to a serviceable degree) in an offseason, you probably don’t have a good offense. If you’ve attempted to simplify it and your players still can’t learn it, it’s either unworkably complex or you’re bad at teaching.

1 Like

That’s true. I think people are frustrated with our base run formations and decisions to run the ball at certain times. That, however will not change. The OC still has to get the approval for every play from CMA. If we do “better” the OC will get the credit for the entire offense. We are the same or worse the OC will also take the blame for the entire offense. That’s not how football works. Each play has 22 variables on the field with their own unique outcome equates to more than one person (the OC).

I was being sarcastic. Where did I mention Air Raid? If anything, I’d stick with the power-spread or go to a West Coast.

The OC does not carry the multitude of glaring symptoms related to bad coaching like position coaches. Prime example, what is the purpose of an OL coach? What are associated symptoms to bad coaching by the OL coach?

This is inaccurate. On key plays, the HC will have input or if there is a trend observed, but the OC makes the majority of play calls unaffected. This last year, CMA did say he had to step in for adjustments, because the offense was sputtering. However, I don’t think CMA thought that was ideal, and I think it was a major factor in Johnson not returning. Johnson knew things were on the downhill for him here, so he got while the getting was good.

2 Likes