Coach Brian Johnson to Florida

I didn’t catch the sarcasm, sorry. I mentioned the Air Raid because it’s a pretty clear example of an offense that is both exciting and simple. I brought it up to show that “simple” and “exciting” aren’t mutually exclusive.

Eh…yes and no. While bad position coaching certainly results in bad play at the position, some of that can certainly be on the OC. For example, if the OL is underperforming, that could be a result of excessively complex blocking schemes – which I mention because I’ve heard that accusation leveled at our offensive playbook by some in the coaching profession.

NO it wasn’t. The OC will run the script, but beyond that, the plays must be checked off.

What about base run plays? Simple plays you run 10 times a game and 120 times a year? Is that on the OC?

You are still wrong, man. I don’t know what else to tell you.

The coaches go in with a gameplan of what they want to do in general, and they might script the first drive. But after that, it becomes what is the opposing defense giving you. There is no game script. The OC on headset talks directly to the guys signalling in the plays. The HC hears everything and communicates, but doesn’t micromanage the play calling like that.

3 Likes

If those plays use the same blocking scheme, they can be. I’m not deeply involved enough in our program to necessarily know what the issue is, I’m just saying that it might not be all on the position coaches.

Typically the head football coach is responsible for hiring assistants. He has a pool of money to use to pay them and he decides how the money is split. The AD hires the head coach.

There is a script for each half. The start of the first quarter and the start of the third quarter. What exactly is the HC communicating?

No worries. I will say that base running plays are the most simple plays to execute in a playbook. If we run it 20 times in practice and 10 times a game, having blocking break downs in week 8 and beyond is not on the OC (who runs the HC’s playbook); there’s a foundation error. As stated before, it can be attributed to the offensive line coach.

I think his philosophies will probably work better at Florida than they did at UH. What a golden opportunity for Applewhite to get a second chance with this hire.

3 Likes

I wish. Not sure CMA likes the Air Raid though. I think it does a better job of getting the ball to playmakers than the current system does though. They’ve tried to emphasize running the football as well at UNT. They average near 200 yards on the ground.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the younger group of WRs can do, especially with a QB who can keep a play alive with his feet as well as King does. As much as I love Dunbar and Bonner, the younger guys have serious speed that we need to take advantage of. Also praying Marquez Stevenson catches a break this time around and can stay healthy. He has so much promise.

2 Likes

What he is communicating usually depends on the head coach, but most HCs I have seen trust their coordinators and don’t micromanage. They make suggestions, but the HC is usually busy with clock management, working refs, and communicating with the coordinator whose group is not in the field, i.e. briefly talking to D’Onofrio about what was seen the series prior while the offense is out on the field. They rarely will overrule a coordinator, because that usually goes down badly.

I have never seen a preset script of plays made before a game other than the opening drive. It isn’t smart, because there are so many variables in a game, one changes and your script goes out the window.

1 Like

Before I celebrate, I want to see who we hire to replace him. How does that saying go about the devil you know?

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on play-calling duties. I just hope our new OC can improve our run blocking since that will be his job as well. lol

The script isn’t based on what happens in game. It’s based on what they think will work, regardless of what they see pre-snap. It’s based on film and noticing tendencies. There is a second half script as well.

1 Like

There’s a difference between a script and a play chart.
I have heard of NFL OCs “scripting the first 20 plays”. That says they have 20 plays written down and are gonna run them in order. How they vary for that based on penalties or unexpected down and distance situations is the question.
I know that DCs will have their play calls arranged by down, distance, field position, hash mark etc. A chart Based upon opp tendencies. So the calls are made during the week…several or more for each field quadrant. DC just picks one from a group of calls he has pre chosen. OCs do same .
My opinion…CMA is not telling coordinators what to call.
If anything he would have been more likely to do so to Johnson because CMA experience on offense. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make any suggestions.
I think a HC should give run/pass instruction to OC based on situations were clock is issue. An OC head tells him to score points, the HC needs to think if he wants run clock, does his defense need a rest etc. OC probably not thinking that way, just about how he’s gonna attack next time gets ball

1 Like

That was my entire argument. There is no cookie cutter way of operations for play calling duties that are applicable to every football program. That can’t be assumed. Understanding that, who is to blame? The OC or the HC? We don’t have enough information to say. People want to blame one person when they don’t understand it’s a collection of people involved. It’s lazy and counter-intuitive. What’s even more funny is people quickly forget they were calling for CMA’s head when he was the OC for our former lying coach. So now that CMA oversees a handful of plays he’s no longer a bad play-caller (which I don’t think either are)? It’s as if there’s an out of sight, out of mind view on staff members who are responsible for our misfires as a team. I guess the other assistants on salary can not be blamed due to their lack of TV time ,and fans’ inability to identify them on the sideline. As stated before, there are some fundamental issues that must be addressed by next season, and that is regardless of who is at OC, or DC.

1 Like

This we can agree on. However, I thought that Applewhite was a good coordinator and a good play-caller under Herman. I thought Johnson was a bad coordinator. His stint at UH is is the third time he has been demoted form play-calling duties. So, those who are celebrating Johnson’s departure aren’t just shooting from the hip here. There is evidence to back up his lack of play-calling abilities from three different schools.

1 Like

Johnson was way more predictable than Applewhite as an OC.

2 Likes

I thought CMA was a great OC too. However, what does prior job performance have to do with current? This may seem like a reach, (but by that logic you have to honor it); Nick Saban was a terrible NFL coach, how’s he done in college? You think Chad Morris will have a worse record in Arkansas than he had at SMU? I’m not saying BJ is Chad Morris, I’m saying he’s not as bad as people make him seem. Excluding Tulsa, and Arizona, he called some good plays the entire year. As far as him being demoted at 3 different schools, he’s only coached at 2 (Utah, Mississippi State). He was also only calling plays at Utah, not Mississippi State. He was the QB’s coach at Mississippi State. Did he get fired from Florida already? lol Oh well, we’ll just have to wait and see how the reset button works out for us.

By what metric? I need that predicable play-calling, related to win outcome correlation, asap. lol . What’s next? The no jumping around on the sideline equates to an automatic loss as well? Did we lose to a predictable Navy school in 2016?