Coach Brian Johnson to Florida

Are you serious with this question? Prior job performance has everything to do with getting your next job and is an indicator of how you will perform in that job. That doesn’t mean you can’t improve, but don’t be surprised if the person you hire doesn’t perform the way you thought they would if they have a history of poor performance.

Houston is the 3rd. He doesn’t work here anymore. I should have clarified - he had play-call duties at Utah taken away twice.

Yes, I’m serious. But I’ll humor you, if you humor me as well. Let’s pretend that BJ is a bad OC, and we hire an ace at that position, what changes would you (Cary) make to improve this team?

So you’ve created a false narrative, he was not demoted here.

What is Sam Houston States OC doing next year ? ? ? ? ?

It will be interesting to see who Major picks to be his OC. I know many would like to see a wide open offense but I don’t know if that is Major’s philosophy or whether he would give complete control to the OC. Interesting times…

By changing to an ace OC, the change to the team has been made.

He had a year left on his contract here and left to take a lesser position on another staff. That is a demotion - a reduction in rank or status. Doesn’t have to be within the same organization to be considered a demotion.

1 Like

Be careful when saying anything negative about our OC H-Town. Some folks on here are just can’t except that he was not a good hire. Kinda reminds me of the board when we had Bush calling the plays. At this point it does not matter he is gone and we are better of for it.

4 Likes

Were you not here for that? We’ve been over it.

Tim Cramsey

I would be hesitant to go with Cramsey. He is awesome in the first half of games…but for some odd reason, he loses his ability to do anything in the second half (at least at Sam Houston this was the case). Jeckyl/Hyde syndrome…I think.

He should fit in here nicely then

1 Like

Dunbar and Bonner blocked…something the others seem to shy away from.

SHSU’s OC was just in his first year. I would give him some time. The former Bearkat OC went to Ol Miss. He was AWESOME at SHSU. I have not checked out how he has fared this past year.
Kind of R&S style O where the WRs make the reads so the QB does not have to. Their QB tossed 57 TD last year under that O. They were really fun to watch. This year they just don’t seem to be as dynamic.

I agree. Blocking is something that needs to be taught and there needs to be a bigger emphasis on that in the future.

Lol Him choosing to leave equates to a demotion? Idk maybe it was a mutual deal, but it’s quite likely that CMA (himself) didn’t demote him. Stop it. Some things we agree on, the OC is not one of them. It’s all good tho, he’s gone now. We’ll see if we find an ace to cure the rest of our symptoms unrelated to the OC position.

I was, I just thought it would be funny to bring it up.

1 Like

Yes. A self-imposed one, but still a demotion.

SHSU under that OC was an Air Raid squad. The HC would go up to Lubbock to learn from Leach when he was still there. Almost ended up at Tech when they were looking for a new OC a couple years ago.

That is standard language throughout the assistant coaches’ contracts, though there is a wrinkle in Johnson’s contract language. If he leaves prior to Jan. 31, 2020, he owes a termination amount of $300,000 that is equal to the amount Florida paid to the University of Houston for Johnson’s buyout. That converts to 20 percent of the remaining contact if after that date (meaning he would have been extended first).

1 Like