Coach Cripps has passed

For all us SBISD folks just heard that Coach Cripps had passed. State Champs 1978, even though a SW boy was fun to watch them. Thoughts and prayers to family. His boys still coaching in SBISD…good folks, sent plenty to play for Coogs as well

He was my coach at Westchester. Good man

For those unaware of Westchester High School, it was in operation from 1967-85 in the Spring Branch Independent School District.
David Clyde, the first overall draft pick in the 1973 Major League Baseball draft, was a Westchester grad.

1 Like

Westchester is still around. Of course as a 6-12 academy and not a traditional high school

Coached by Oscar Cripps, and led by running back Craig James, Stratford’s 1978 state championship football team is often overlooked when it comes to Texas’ all-time best high school teams.
The Spartans went 15-0 and held nine opponents to a TD or less.
On its way to winning state in 1978, Stratford beat 1976 state champion SA Churchill 24-7 in semis and 1977 champion Plano 20-13 in title game. And Stratford beat 1975 state champion Port Neches-Groves in the regular season as well as picking up a district win in 1978 over Memorial, which advanced to the 1979 title game before losing to Temple.

He was a great coach and mentored many fine players. I hope his family will find peace with his passing.

My son goes to Westchester now. I remember the Cripps name when I played at Northbrook.

Everyone knew that his girlfriend/later wife wouldn’t last more than a few months. He SAVED the Rangers franchise.

RIP. Nice man. He was the coach during my years at Stratford (David Klingler era).

Met coach Cripps at a basketball charity game at Stratford High School back in 1983. I was at Northbrook high school back then. RIP coach.

Could stand Stratford in the 80s - was my school’s Achielle’s Heel - well coached teams

They were the first Katy type teams out west before Katy came on the scene

RIP🙏… played for him 80-84

I played baseball at Westchester (68,69).
Coach Cripps was one of the few football coaches excited about our baseball team. Always had something positive to say about us.

Another Westchester Wildcat here ('67-'68). '67 was a tough year for football.

RIP Coach

68 score against Memorial was great. 14-13 i believe.
The baseball field did not have a fence (1st year).
An opponent hit a ball that went into the trees. Our outfielder chased the ball down; he ran out of the trees and had pine needles in his cap.

I went to Westchester and then I worked for Coach Cripps as his Athletic Traine at Stratford H.S. from 1981-1985. He was a great man who really cared deeply about all the students! He had a deep love for God and it showed in the way he treated people. I talked to him on the phone last week!

1 Like