Coach No D

And that included like 14 turnovers.

1 Like

dorito

I can’t believe this is the most points we’ve given up since a 2004 loss to OU. Of all the crappy sumlin defenses we had they never gave up 63 points? Amazing!

Even Skladany and Bryant couldn’t match this. Kudos, Onfrio.

1 Like

Of course fans will say D’Onofrio is the problem. He may be, at least to some extent. I can’t really say for sure. But I did see that we couldn’t cover them, and the few times that we were fairly close, we either interfered with them, or they blew right past the defender. D’Onofrio’s not Buddy Ryan, but IMO the biggest problem is that we’re just not good in the secondary (and Garrett Davis was injured on one of the first plays), which is very frustrating because we have one of the better defensive lines in the country, solid linebackers, and should be playing good defense. We can still have a big season, but after watching Tech move up and down the field, you have to be concerned that about Memphis, especially playing them on the road.

2 Likes

Sam, to Me the biggest problem is that we don’t bring any pressure on defense. We’ll Rush foor and sometimes three but rarely more than four. You give the quarterback so much time to throw that eventually he’s going to find somebody that is open. I do agree that tackling and the coverage by the db’s is a problem but I think anytime you give an opposing quarterback that much time to throw bad things are going to happen.

5 Likes

D’Onofrio aint real good

That was not the same defense that played last week.

Dorito is a gift of love selected, wrapped, and delivered by Applewhite. Did anyone on this board really recognize his name before Applewhite brought him over?

Worst hire since Dickey.

2 Likes

Gave up 72 to SMU in 2012. I believe thats our record worst

The evidence is in. D’Onofrio had an excuse last year with a very poor secondary talent wise. This year he had the opportunity to coach these guys up, and it hasn’t happened.

It’s deceiving because his defense is really good against run based teams. That makes you believe that the defense might actually turn a corner, but then we play a passing team. His defense against passing teams
 absolute s*** show.

We will destroy Navy, Tulane, SMU, Temple and Tulsa. We will lose to Memphis. We will struggle with USF, but might pull it out because it is at home.

3 Likes

All of those points weren’t on the defense though.

There’s a reason why he was unemployed when we hired him, today we saw the reason

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I think this defense is designed to really control running-based teams,especially teams that run out of an old school prostyle offense or an I formation. I think the worst possible matchup is a Texas tech type team that can accurately throw the football and throw it with a high volume of passes.

1 Like

Yeah
 I am saying 10-2. Depends on if Memphis loses again to see if we make it to the Champ game. Just hope if that happens, Cincy beats UCF, then we’d have a shot at a championship.

Memphis doesn’t have the tech offense or defense. Where we will be in trouble is if we have to play UCF at their place if we get to the championship game.

1 Like

Milton McKenzie would shred this secondary.

Well had Coogs won, you would have maybe start to hear the rumor mill going
not after an embarrassing loss to tech