Coach Sampson

Everyone wanted him to win a game in a post season tournament, any post season tournament, including conference tournament. Still want that. Hope he does it this year. If not, yes there will be people who want him on the hot seat.

"Everyone ??? I donā€™t think so !

Too many people are still in the PSJ era and was in a different era. That ship has sailed about 6 coaches ago. There have been a couple of decent ones, Foster and Penders, but that is it. They both had to deal with complacent Administrations.

People are crazy, CKS is a pro and the best UH has had in a long long time. He didnā€™t take the job until he was assured that the UH admin was going to step up and make a commitment to BB. He started in the hole and has dug out of it.

Too bad, we donā€™t have the same type of coach in the FB program !!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a big difference between PSJ and losing 1st round conference championship games in which youā€™re favored. Weā€™ve lost our last 5 post season games. If weā€™re on the bubble where we are now and lose first game in the conference tournament again, you can kiss any chance at NCAA goodbye and look forward to another NIT bid

Regular season looks great so far, but if we choke in the post season again like the last 2 years, the regular season means nothing. Hoping he gets over the hump this ear

3 Likes

Obviously we all hope the postseason struggles and NCAA drought ends this year but even if they donā€™t CKS deserves another 2-3 years. We have shown improvement every year he has been here and some highly touted recruits coming in. We are light years from where we were with Dickey. You can see it in so many aspects of the program. We are building a culture and it is exciting to witness. We will get to a good place with CKS, keep being patient.

5 Likes

Coach Sampson is building something special here and Iā€™m very excited about this year and beyond!!

See, you are still hung up on PSJ.

Iā€™d like us to at least get to Pat Foster level

1 Like

Yeah, Sampson lost playoff games, but at the same time he was actually doing more with lesser chicken parts too.

1 Like

Yep, Coach has been doing it largely with smoke and mirrors up until this season. Now the team has enough talent and depth to make some postseason noise.

We are there this yearā€¦ if we get to the tourney. That remains to be seen.

Pat Foster made 3 NCAAs and 3 NITs in 7 years. We may be on our way, but weā€™re not there

Winning breeds winning. The ball has already started to rollā€¦and is gaining momentum. Look at the incoming classes.

1 Like

Foster was a good coachā€¦but he started with Winslow and Anderson amongst othersā€¦

Sampson started withā€¦well, he started !

5 Likes

I am not ashamed to say Iā€™m a rainbow puking sunshine pumper when it comes to CKS and have been since I had my one and only conversation with him after one of his coaches shows at Fuddruckers. He knows the game, knows how to teach it and relates to players. Heā€™s going to get us to a good place in basketball. Weā€™ll have ups and downs but I hope he really does coach another 10 years.

7 Likes

One thing this has in common with the football board is short term memory loss. There were so many ready to bail on Sampson after the second game of the season.

1 Like

By Fosterā€™s second year, Winslow and Anderson were gone. We had some recruiting missteps in Guy V.'s last years, and the cupboard was bare. And donā€™t forget that we didnā€™t exactly set the world on fire once Michael Young and Dream left.

Ive never been down on CKS. We have improved every year, Opie on the other handā€¦

And Franklin alsoā€¦but Foster also brought in some really good JC guys later and won with themā€¦but you are right, he inherited a program just a couple years from when we were going to three straight final foursā€¦Sampson inherited a program labeled as basically dead and unfixable after the Dickey episodeā€¦

1 Like

Same here; Iā€™m a HS basketball coach and appreciates how good CKS is. He holds his players accountable. The other night Zanna got mixed up in a scrum and took a step or two towards the USF player. CKS immediately was seen talking to Zanna basically saying to knock that crap off.

3 Likes

I always thought that Foster was one of the best at getting JC players up to speed for D1 BB that I ever saw.

Penders and Sampson are pretty good at it also.