Coaching hires official thread

They lost their QB early and started a true freshman the rest of the season he was OC.

2 Likes

Brian Johnson will be the OC. You don’t hire a co-oc because the co oc will be Applewhite. No reason to be negative here based on win-loss record at Utah. Look at Tech. I think the guy will do a great job here. Or so we all hope

1 Like

Based on his bio, Johnson was Utah’s OC at 24. Not surprised he did not do so well being the youngest OC at the time. He was not 34 or 44, but 24. I am sure he has done some maturing the last 5 years.

I like the fact that he is a former QB and can develop QB’s. Like Major and Herman’s tutelage, I bet Major has a role in developing the offensive philosophy.

1 Like

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/27/brian-johnson-hired-houston-offensive-coordinator-mississippi-state

Another thing I like is that Brian Johnson has been a big time winner before. Leading a team to a 13-0 record as a starting quarterback is huge. He has played for and coached under some really good coaches. He has coached one of the best rookies in the NFL. He started really young and will continue to grow in knowledge each year. He also has Major Applewhite to help him. I’m excited about the Allen/Johnson pairing or whoever the qb is. I think it will end up being a good hire.

1 Like

Also, I have a question for you guys. Has Pope been hired yet or asked to stay on? Or does it appear we are going in a different direction?

Well there was rumors that we already had our OC and DC but was waiting for their bowl games to make the announcements. I don’t think it was a coincidence this announcement was less than 24 hours after the MSU bowl game.

It stands to reason that our other CO-DC/LB coach and OL coach are still active in a bowl game or the playoffs. Of course that doesn’t narrow it down much since there are 44 teams with a game still to play.

2 Likes

Good question

Brian Johnson Named Houston Offensive Coordinator

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122716aaa.html

Didn’t Johnson and Utah put the hurt on Alabama in the bowl game by playing at hyper speed? It was one of the best most innovative game plans I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

they DID! Great win by the Utes, who were dominant on both sides of the ball
Went undefeated that year and finished in the top 5
Johnson is a winner

1 Like

Isn’t the OL coach AJ Ricker?

Probably hasn’t been decided yet. I have to think that Applewhite & Johnson will select the rest of the offensive staff together.

To me there are three ways for a coaching hire to be official.

1. Announced by AD or President
  2. Announced by Berman or Duarte
  3. http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/m-footbl-coaches.html

If we hired him, why wouldn’t he be on the list? He has been unemployed for a year so it’s not like he has some coaching to finish.

Could have to do with him being paid by Illinois pending other employment.

Going to try and put something together on this tonight.

One possibility is Phil Bennett, the Baylor DC, who’s playing right now.

1 Like

No thanks on Bennett.

2 Likes

Going to be hiring the OL coach from Cincinnati

1 Like

JB Grimes? That’s a nice pickup. Veteran guy who has Texas ties with the Aggies back from '98-'02.

Is that a prediction or knowledge?

1 Like