Coaching Salaries

A review of the salaries of the 4 active coaches who have won 7 national championship within the past 10 years is as follows:

1. Mike Krzyzewski - Duke - ACC (P5) - 2 Titles - $9.0 million/year
  2. Jay Wright - Villanova - Big East - 2 Titles - $2.6 million/year
  3. Roy Williams - North Carolina - ACC (P5) - 2 Titles - $2.2 million/year
  4. John Calipari - Kentucky - SEC (P5) - 1 Title - $8.0 million/year

The 3 other national championship coaches (now retired) were former Big East coaches:

1. Rick Pitino - Louisville - $7.7 million/year
  2. John Calhoun - UConn - $2.3 million/year, and
  3. Kevin Ollie - UConn - $2.8 million/year.

So the average salary of the past 10 national title coaches is $48.4M/10 = $4.8 million/year.

At the present time, the AAC has a few highly compensated coaches as follows:

1. Marshall - Wichita State - $3.0 million/year, and
  2. Cronin - Cincinnati - $2.2 million/year

My point in this research is to show that Coach Kelvin Sampson - UH - $1.4 million/year - is probably due for a really, really big raise!

6 Likes

I agree, but who is going to write the check?

1 Like

The bigger question is what sort of uptick in revenue have we experienced this year vs other years? Most of that is due to Sampson and if that number is as significant as I think it is then we can’t afford not to give him a raise. Think about the amount of money Pez said we lost by Herman leaving, it more than makes up for paying for a great coach

2 Likes

Guys don’t worry about that. Our administration will take care of that. They’ll probably double or triple his salary but let’s get through the season first.

1 Like

Of course, 4 of the so called top coaches were proven to be crooks !!!

3 are currently out of coaching !!

2 Likes

Lol
We still have some questioning “who is going to write the check?”

He will be compensated well this season with incentives and likely get a 20-30% bump in pay.as well as the staff.

He was already offered a raise and he said they will talk again after this season. Gotta question why you are listing out a bunch of national championship coaches pay when we have yet to reach the Sweet 16 though. Too soon? Too soon? I think if Sampson gets us to the Final Four this year, he can negotiate a Greg Marshall type contract in good faith. Another tourney win and a second round exit should get him between Cronin and Marshall.

Chances are though, any new contract includes Kellen as a future head coach as part of the deal in exchange for a lower price tag.

1 Like

He deserves about 3 million per year, better coach than Wichita coach

1 Like

Sounds like a plan

He can win a National Championship here. Maybe this year! Deserves a raise.

Nepotism is never a good idea and I don’t think the coach has ever mentioned it.

1 Like

Does that count when it comes to a father hiring his daughter for external operations and his son for his top assistant?

1 Like

That would be a qualitative judgement based on salary and family relations. Artisans train their kids and extended family groups in their trades. If it was a high salary and high prestige
job like head coach I would say don’t do it.

Does this “qualitative judgement” come from a court of law, scientific consensus or mob rule?

1 Like

Chris Beard at Tech is making $3.175 million per year

We should match that!