Coaching staff -early evaluation

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I’m not willing to make a decision either way when the guy hasn’t even coached a conference game yet. It’s not like he’s lost to Texas State, UTSA, or Tulane as of yet. I’m not thrilled with the way the offense has looked so far, but let’s see if he can adjust and try to fix some of the mistakes before running him out of town.

4 Likes

Yes but the team was like still on Houston time so it was 9:30 for them.

1 Like

It is too early gentlemen. Does belichick put you to sleep?

At this point in time I would have to say that this coaching staff is not performing up to that standards that we expect. That does not mean they can’t improve. I, for one, hope that this is just growing pains and that this will be one of the best staffs we have ever had.

1 Like

The turnovers were the game. Fix those and we probably win behind this defense.

2 Likes

How a coach handles adversity says a lot more about him than how he handles success. This next game, we will learn more about Applewhite as a head coach than the previous 3 games combined.

5 Likes

100% correct. My point exactly.

1 Like

Excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses!

They’re kids. Not professional highly paid athletes.

Do you even remember being a college student?

I agree with you 100%. Regardless if we win (we should), if there are no changes then I am very worried. At some point in the spring he should have seen we don’t have the personnel for this offense they are trying to run. For those calling the offense “vanilla” why weren’t you saying that the last two years?? Of course it will look vanilla when you have a QB who is not a threat to run, no good RB, and no playmakers at WR (King did come in to help there).

1 Like

Too early on Major but he’s not off to a great start. Does anyone think this team won’t loss at least 4 games this season based on what we’ve seen thus far? Is this acceptable now? I don’t know about others, but when I listen to MA in press conferences, I get the same feeling I got when TL was HC. No emotion, very laid back. Just my two cents, I’m probably reading into this too much.

How does playing a team that squeaked by Nova and UMass and got blown out by their other opponents tell you anything unless we lose? If we don’t blow them out like USF did it might tell us something. But I don’t think we have the offense to do that

I was saying (so many times many questioned my Cougar heritage) that we needed to spice it up by replacing Catalon and questioned Applesauces playing calling at least once. Without GW we have become more vanilla. Hope you like vanilla.
Go Coogs.

Agreed. I don’t think he’s the right person to start. I like Birden more. I think he makes more with what the OL gives him.

2 Likes

CMA is Levine lite and will get Levine like results. Cannot beat good coaches, see losses against Morris (SMU), Norvell (Memphis) and USF (strong)
temple like a Rice is not a good indicator.

It’s not the opponent that matters, it’s how we play. Changes in starters, some different looks, player execution, player attitude, etc. For example, if Applewhite does another “we will announce the starter on game day,” then he might as well be saying, “we are preparing for Temple the exact same way we did for UTSA and Arizona.” Don’t use a gimmick against teams you should be beating by double digits that you can’t use against teams that may be favored to beat you.

Here’s how I see it going. The defense can win this game so the offensive play calling is ultra conservative. If Allen starts, they say we’re conservative because we want him to get his confidence back. If Postma starts, it’s because we have a new QB and we don’t want to overwhelm him

We score about 17 points. Temple scores about 10. Applewhite says he just wanted to preserve the victory. CMA apologists ask why we’re complaining. We won the game and the offense kept the lead

1 Like

From watching Temple, our defense may score 17 points.

And may need to

Why not Mulbah? Anyone know?