Collector's Item or Trash?

Definitely a collectors item, especially when we beat UT. Value? That’s a different story…

1 Like

If it’s a collector’s item, it’s for all the wrong reasons.

I know why, who came up with the moniker “Clyde the Glide” ?

Clyde, whether you liked him as a coach or not, remains one of the all-time Coog players. He is a hall of famer and helped lead the Rockets to a title…so yes, I would get it signed by Glide and frame it…

4 Likes

It was like he was gliding to the basket. Similar to Michael “Air” Jordan.

I bet there would be some entrepreneurs in the Houston thrift community who wouldn’t mind having this piece.

Butch , I was merely asking who came up with the moniker “Clyde the Glide” . Then I get a response of why? Hell anybody that’s not a all out Moran of those day’s knows why. Was it the Houston Post?

I meant nothing to offend you there, but YES I do speak English!

I said I knew Why. I was curious of who came up with the moniker. Houston Post?

I don’t know about the Houston Post coming up with that, but most of us know that Tommy Bonk of the Post came up with Phi Slama Jama.

1 Like

@DadaCoogin42
(assuming the article is true…)

This article gives the source of Clyde’s nickname…

“I was tagged with it by some of my high school basketball teammates,” Drexler says. “It was during my eleventh grade year. Back then, your nickname had to rhyme with your real name, so that’s the big reason it stuck. I was cool with it, mainly because it wasn’t embarrassing [laughs]. Some of those guys had seriously embarrassing nicknames, but I got mine because I could take off so far from the basket and dunk the ball. People still call me Glide to this day.”

1 Like

Awesome piece of history. That was an exciting time. Got less exciting, but it’s exciting again now, so who cares? Clyde is definitely a character.

I was not replying to your post…sorry, I was just writing in general. I don’t remember who the first one to call him Glide was…
But I do remember when he was a freshman and were playing the tall and talented Aggies at the Hof…Clyde took the ball at the top of the circle on a fast break and leaped over 6-11 Rudy Woods for a thunderous dunk…
The guy sitting next to me on press row jabbed at me and said, “Can you believe that kid? Did you see how he just glided through the air and delivered that dunk? He is going to be a great pro one day…”
That guy was a Laker scout…his name was Jerry West…
Seeing that play had me in awe, and then discovering that HOFer West was sitting next to me, made me untouchable for days lol…

1 Like