College football attendance down again

It was included, but did not count towards home attendance. It was a Neutral Site Game as part of the Kickoff Classic or whatever it was called. It did help sell season tickets though. So it did influence our attendance numbers in that way. Ticket brokers probably bought 3K less tickets last year.

The raising of prices, removal of GA sections, reduction in student allocation, and slow rollout of the family plan were also contributions in our drop. Probably shouldn’t have rolled all of that out in one offseason.

1 Like

There were a lot of season tickets sold to people that wanted just that game. Those tickets were included in our home attendance for the other home games. UH like most schools use ticket sales instead of turnstile count.

What would happen if the “experts” decided to lower prices until the venue was sold to capacity?
What would happen if a meal was sold for $5.00?
What would happen if one beer did not cost three dollars more then the same beer in a six pack at the grocery store?
How much more squeezing needs to take place before people look for better options?

3 Likes

I no longer buy beer and have limited my purchase of concessions.

3 Likes

What would happen if a bottle of water, just a plain ordinary bottle of water cost $2.00 instead of $5.00, the current price.

3 Likes

I’ve said that for a long time. If they halved their prices they would triple their sales. I actually refuse to buy anything inside the stadium these days because the prices are so inflated.

3 Likes

Season ticket holders had dibs on the Kickoff game but had to buy the tickets outside of the normal package, as I recall.

Technically it was a neutral site so did the attendance count towards our 2016 home attendance? I wouldn’t think so, but I don’t know how that works.

That’s why march madness is great in basketball a little school has a chance to win it all. In football you always get same 8 teams in the finals it gets boring.

1 Like

No, it was a part of your season ticket package unless you waited until like a few weeks before the season.

Wow. How soon I forget. All I care about is being there!

If UH backtracks the reduction of GA tickets and brings back the family pack then we would see an increase in attendance I believe. They could also be hurting themselves in basketball as well because of the premium seating pricing in Fertita Center next year in addition to football prices. My fear is that now they could force alumni on a budget who have season tickets to both sports to choose between football and basketball. I still can’t figure out why they thought it was a good idea to bring in a new head of the ticket office that was at Alabama.

By the way, I also agree the mark up on concession prices is getting ridiculous. I hate Aramark! They have a monopoly on the stadiums in this city and serve crappy food, and then somehow get away with overpricing the food and beer. If fans want better-priced concessions then the first step is to get rid of Aramark.

1 Like

Over 4600 of the 7000 seats at FC next year are general admission prices.

Yes but the general admission at Fertita Center will be in the baselines. The big price hike could force tickets holders who had good seats at the Hoff to relocate to the general admission at the Fertita Center. Not all Alumni have it in their budget to see a big increase in football and basketball. I am just saying there are going to be unhappy alumni when they are forced to relocate from good seats they may have had for years at the Hoff to baseline at Fertita Center.

There are reserved priority chair backs available in the Fertitta Center for a stadium donation of $500…payable over 5 years. That’s only $100 per year additional to purchase the seat. I think that’s a very affordable option for folks that are cash strapped and still want a sideline reserved seat.

Yes, some of the court side, club and front row, mid court seats will require significant donations. I’m ok with that as long as there are folks are willing to pay it. UH certainly needs the funds to complete the project. But IMO still plenty of reasonably priced options for the regular folks.

2 Likes

So how UH select the concessionnaires for athletic events? Who’s in charge of that?

The guy that made the deal, Carl Carlucci, was forced to resign basically because of that deal along with some other questionable deals he made in regards to TDECU and other facilities. UH dropped Aramark across campus last season, but the contract with Aramark at TDECU continues as it wasn’t part of the same contract.

So how is that Chic-Fil-A gets to sell in TDECU and a couple years ago we had Pappa John’s Pizza?

Aramark makes deals with those companies to bring their brand in and provide the employees to run the stands. Both then make a cut off the sales.

I see. So if I wanted to sell my franchise’s food (hypothetically), I would have to contact Aramark and make a deal, right?