College football attendance down again

Right.

1 Like

Since the beginning of the decade, conferences have realigned to create confusing and uninteresting match-ups. Schools have given up storied rivalries and anticipated games for TV money, sacrificing fan interest and student involvement.

Just take a second to Google “CFB rivalries killed by conference realignment” and you’ll get plenty of great examples.

2 Likes

The SEC is sure smart in not even considering UH. UH v ATM would not be a rivalry game, it would be a hate game. It would make the Hatfields and McCoys look like a minor disagreement. It would instantly become the most heated rivalry in the conference.

The SEC has the car majority of their traditional rivalries intact, sure adding would add a good bad blood matchups with Aggies and Piggies, but wholly unnecessary to them for the most part. The SEC like most conferences and the sport could use a lot more parity. The conferences that lost the most from rivalries were the big 12 and the carving up of the big east.

Like all things realignment based the BIG and the SEC came out the best by far in terms of most traditional rivalries intact.

PAC12 still has their rivalries with USC vs UCLA, AU vs ASU, WU vs WSU, OU vs OSU, CAL vs Stanford. It could be argued that USC vs ND is as big a rivalry as their UCLA game. Sure, sometimes the games aren’t worth watching for the non-partisan fan, but they are very intense rivalries for their fan bases.

Utah’s rivalry game is still BYU and I don’t know that Colorado ever had a rivalry.

Colorado’s biggest rival was Nebraska.

2nd biggest rival was Colorado State

After that, they had history with Utah prior to the PAC, just not since 1962. They had played 57 times prior to that. Unless the 2 schools start competing for conference titles, it probably won’t be that big of a rivalry.

Yeah, the OU game tipped me to get three season tickets. Due to day of game, timing, etc. as a Dallas resident with teen kids, I ended up going to two or three games that year and just bought singles this year.

I may get a mini-plan with UofA this year if it doesn’t include weeknight games. Want to see as much Big Ed and the revamped offense as I can.

1 Like