Conference play only?

Been hearing snippets on local radio that conferences might be looking at playing an in conference schedule only season. Also heard an “In Texas only” season which included UH. Anyone hear any of this as well?

My son has heard talk of that very thing. UH possibly playing TCU and TAMU, but no clear evidence yet

3 Likes

What would that gain ?

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking. How would that mitigate the spread of the disease better than playing OOC?

1 Like

Maybe it lessens expenses? No school is going to bring in the cash it is used to (and expects) to get.

Maybe it avoids airports? If the kids stay pretty isolated, you can avoid putting them in an airport that anyone could have visited. Instead, you take buses that have been thoroughly cleaned.

I’m excited at this possibility. We haven’t played TCU since they left CUSA. And we haven’t played Aggie since 1995 or so.

4 Likes

I loved the SWC, yeah lets do this thing. Add OU and Okie State.

1 Like

Well that would be a bummer to get to play aTm again but not be able to actually attend the game.

2 Likes

So I would think the number one thing would be an expenses reduction of you ditched some of the OOC.

Now, for staying intrastate only that could also prevent extra spread to other states as well. So for instance right now in Texas the infection rate has spiked so if we stay in the borders we don’t bring the extra chance of an extra outbreak to a state that currently has it more under control. Just like maybe there situation flips in the fall and say Maryland specifically Annapolis is a hot spot and we’re under control.

What about TV? If in-state play only, would networks be better positioned to televise more regionally instead of having to pursue nationally televised games?

Would love to play A&M, TCU, even texas (see how I didn’t capitalize them lol), I’m just afraid we might embarrass ourselves we are rebuilding and might get our butts handed to us, this ain’t the team that beat Fla St, OU, etc etc

If you want to salvage it this makes sense - minimal travel (can leave day of game for some), less hotel/food costs and attractive to the state.

There would be a ton of hurdles for something like this to happen. The conferences would have a mile long list of objections, not to mention the logistics of putting this all together in a couple of months.

That said…very interesting.

1 Like

Covid has spawned a lot of successful ideas super fast. I think an in-state season could get done pretty quickly too. Just need to put safety first.

1 Like

I have a novel idea! Why can’t the politicians work out a way to just treat the sick, and leave the rest of us alone to live normal lives?

2 Likes

So we just go completely reactionary and deal with the effects and not the causes? Forgive if you were being sarcastic and I didn’t catch it.

1 Like

Might have to do this if other states look at Texas’ COVID numbers and decide to impose travel restrictions to and from our state. Wouldn’t that be something?

2 Likes

It’s almost seems like having football conferences with teams from the surrounding area make the most sense…what a shame that a Texas season is something that has to be worked at and not a given each year.

1 Like

Was this just discussed on the radio? Or actually in talks legitimately? I didn’t find anything online.

The Louisville game was as electric of a home crowd as I’ve ever seen. How many sacks did we put on Jackson? Crazy how good we were when we played up to our potential!

We did play TCU in texas bowl years back…but yeah never in season since c-usa.