Conference title still in play

Trying to follow these tiebreakers and I’m still confused…

As I understand it, our records are tied with WSU and so we go to head to head which is 1-1.

Then don’t we go to record against UC?

We are 1-1 against UC and WSU is 1-0. Shouldn’t their 1.000 percentage beat our .500, at least for now?

It’s quite simple really. If we win out and Cincinnati loses one more time, then we win a share of the AAC championship and hoist up a banner!

1 Like

Will be interesting to see how the players react to being ranked. I don’t think they’ll get complacent but games do get harder as opposing teams and fans are a little more motivated to beat you.

Memphis will be a nice test. SMU even more so as we’ve got more rivalry factor with them.

Well, we saw how this team reacted before the Cincy game and then how they came out on the road after the huge win over the Bearcats.
The one thing we do know about this squad is that they will play hard. And we still have plenty to play for since we are currently tied with WSU and a game back of the Bearcats. It all makes for exciting basketball…

From a mental toughness standpoint, the only team with “any” left on UH’s schedule is SMU, and they might be just about out of that too due to depletion of roster. Memphis will fold at the 1st sign of trouble. ECU is terrible and we own UConn. The only thing I am concerned about with this UH team is Rob Gray. His conference numbers are awful. He’s shooting less than 40% from the field and less than 30% from 3. No one is guarding him any differently than last year. He just has to shake this slump. It is a huge challenge to the rest of the roster to give 54 minutes a night to guards that shoot under 40% against the best teams in the country.

1 Like

What I love about this team is that the rest of the bunch has risen to the occasion during Rob’s struggles. Brooks, Robinson, both the Davis’ have really stepped up their games in his absence…that said, it would really be nice to see Gray get back to normal this time of year…

The obvious is that we need to keep winning. Hopefully win out until Conference Tournament comes. That way even if we do not do well we will still make March madness. Gotta keep focused on the next game not weeks from now.

I’m wondering if Rob is fighting through an injury. CKS mentioned to the radio crew after one of the games last week (I believe Tulane) that Rob wasn’t as fast/athletic as he was in prior seasons. Possible that he may have also put on too much mass this year and his body isn’t moving the way it used to.

Rob said it may be a mental thing to JD last week. Tend to believe this having watched him all season. He seems to be extremely tentative early on in games, wanting to get others involved, and seems to struggle if he misses his first shot or two. He does seem to have another gear as the game gets into crunch time though as we saw in the Cincy game.

1 Like

It’s probably a combination of body and role changes. It can be hard for a player to go from being the guy who’s expected to score every possession to more of a facilitator. If nothing else, it can take longer to rediscover the shooting touch.

He still looks the same to me when he’s attacking the basket, but he could have a shoulder/elbow/wrist issue that is affecting his shot.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/965601890527535105

UH vs WSU in the finals of the AAC Tournament. I’m calling it right here

2 Likes

If we win out and make it to that game, a four seed seems very attainable.

I said it early in conference play, Rob doesn’t seem aggressive this season like he was his first 2 years here. He used to attack the rim at will with his quick first step. Not sure why he relying on his shot more. That kind of put him in the dog house year 1.

1 Like

I think he’s less aggressive because this isn’t the rob and damyean show. Coach has said that the team is getting better. In his press conference this week he said Rob is a different player this year because the team is different this year and went on to talk about how the spurs evaluated players as “contributors”. He said rob is a contributor who make “hokey assists” ( assists that lead to assists).

I agree…Rob has a new role with this years team…He makes everyone else better…This team has the best ball movement that I have seen since PSJ days! That said…I do agree that he is in a bit of a slump…He’ll be fine!

Purely from an Xs and Os standpoint, it looks like we are trying to run a variation of the offense the Rockets run, but our screens at the top are not very good. The point of setting that screen is to get the guy guarding the ball handler to switch to the big man setting the screen to create mismatches. Instead of setting good screens, we run handoffs on the perimeter trying to create the mismatches. But without screens, the defenders don’t have to switch unless they just want to. My thought is if they are going to run handoffs out top, a handoff to Corey or Armoni needs to be immediately accompanied by a screen on the trailing defender so Corey or Armoni can immediately shoot the 3 or drive. Both of those guys have good enough elevation and/or quick enough releases to get that shot off before the switching defender can react. If the defender is too close, they can put the ball on the floor and drive and kick or drive and attack.

Is anyone seeing something that I’m missing? It’s a little late for this year, but in the offseason, our guys need to watch hours of film on Clint Capela setting high screens for Harden and CP3 to see how it’s done.

2 Likes

I hear/see what you’re saying, but I haven’t seen many attempts of a pick and roll. Most of that movement,I assumed wasn’t to create an immediate defensive switch, but to create movement and to give one of our shooters an open look at a 3, a few passes later.

Most of out inside the paint approach has been Brady posting up…which to your point would be more effective if we were forcing the D to switch up.

1 Like

This is one of the few areas where I’d like to see college teams implement more of a pro-style offense. The NBA is all about creating mismatches with screens and using quick ball movement to get open looks for shooters. If CKS can teach our guys (particularly the bigs) to set great screens, that immediately improves their chances of playing at the next level. It would also help guys like Van Beck who don’t have quick releases, but can knock it down when they get an open look.

1 Like

Tulane gave Wichita State a bit of a scare.

Tulane has to be the most schizophrenic team in our conference.