Connor Wong at Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Connor is putting up some pretty crazy numbers in high A ball Rancho Cucamonga.

In 12 games, he has hit 8 home runs, and has an OPS of 1.442.

A report I saw earlier had him rated as the Dodgers’ overall 20th best prospect. When they drafted him last year, the Dodger organization compared him to Austin Barnes, their current backup catcher, because of his versatility and ability to play just about any position. Connor was a legitimate 5 tool player at UH, and, so far, he is showing that he can keep it going.

4 Likes

I believe he’s tied for the minor league lead in homers now.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-42318/

19. Connor Wong, C, Dodgers
Team: high Class A Rancho Cucamonga (California)
Why He’s Here: .500/.538/1.250 (6-for-12), 3 R, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Wong is the latest in a line of college middle infielders-turned-catchers the Dodgers love to collect, following the footsteps of Kyle Farmer, Austin Barnes and Will Smith. Drafted in the third round last year mainly due to his athleticism and potential as a defender, Wong has opened his first full season on an offensive tear, leading the Cal League with eight home runs in just 12 games and posting an overall .396/.463/.979 line. Wong concluded his week with a 3-for-4, two home run, four-RBI game against Lake Elsinore, and he’s established his sneaky pop is no longer so sneaky. (KG)

Catcher – Connor Wong, Rancho Cucamonga (102 games): LA had a number of stellar performances by both veteran and up-and-coming backstops, but Wong’s production (.269/.350/.480 with 20 doubles and 19 homers) demands the spotlight.

“He had a great year, and we’re even working on his swing a little and there’s been progress during the instructional league so that he’s going to cut down on strikeouts,” Gomes said. “He’s a really good athlete with a ton of twitch. When he gets those hands going, it’s really impressive.”

Wong is new to the position, having converted from shortstop at the University of Houston.

“He made tremendous progress receiving, blocking,” Gomes said. “The arm is there, for sure. It’s just about getting his pre-pitch movement consistent and just [getting] reps.”

17) Connor Wong, C, Grade C+: Age 22, third round pick in 2017 from University of Houston; hit .269/.350/.480 with 19 homers, 38 walks, 138 strikeouts in 383 at-bats in High-A; has tools to catch but needs more reps, threw out 27% of runners, error and passed ball rates were rather high; was originally a shortstop in college so he gets some slack for the defensive rawness; solid power potential but will have to watch contact; ETA 2021.

It’s also worth noting that Marshall Kasowski is the 23rd ranked prospect in the Dodger organization.

1 Like

I wish Marshall had stayed. We had a solid pitching staff, but he looked good as the mid-week guy prior to his injury. Good to see him having success.

They all keep saying he converted from playing short stop in college, but I sure as hell remember him playing catcher at UH.

He was second team All-American Conference at catcher in 2017 according to his bio at uhcougars.com.

He played SS initially at UH but my understanding is that while he played SS at Pearland his senior year he was a catcher previously in HS.

1 Like