Coogs at the 2020 (yeah its 2021) US Olympic Trials

Outside the US, of course Shaun will be in the Olympics with South Africa. Probably no body else, but still not 100% clear with the new Olympic qualification process. Nathaniel Mechler won the Canadian decathlon, but doesn’t have an Olympic standard and has a low world ranking. Mario Burke finished 2nd in the Barbados championships, but only has a 10.32 time this year.

20.62 was his time in the semis, but he ran 20.49, a PB, in the heats.

He keeps getting faster. I think he will be in the finals of the 200 next year, possibly 100 too.

1 Like

Did we have any Coogs medal at the Olympics?

No. Shaun Maswanganyi was 10th in the 200m and 14th in the 100m. They missed the pass in the 4x100 which was the most likely event for a Coog to get a medal. No body else came close.

That’s too bad. Thanks for the info.
#GoCoogs!

Did you see Coach Lewis’ tweets about 4x100 debacle?

Oh yeah, we discussed it some in the Tokyo Olympics thread. He isn’t wrong, but I think he went about it the wrong way (with the harsh tweets). Especially since our (UH) relay team lost the last two seasons because of missed passes.

What’s this “Olympic Standard” that I keep hearing about?

It’s the minimum level of performance for an athlete to participate in the Olympics. Otherwise, all participating countries could send up to 3 athletes per event, even if the three could only run a 20 second 100m for example. Would overwhelm facilities and not feasible to get all the prelims in.