Coogs get 6 votes in Preseason AP Poll

1. One of only two schools in Texas ranked in the Top 25 but have done nothing in recent times to earn the ranking.
  2. Former UH coach is there and took some UH recruits with him.
  3. Some of their fan base thinks they are the best when actually they are the worst fans I have experienced on Cougar road games.
  4. Not only do they get P5 money, they also benefit from the PUF: further widening the gap in financial disparity between the Have’s and Have Not’s.
5 Likes

Who cares? If we take care of business we’ll get ranked. There is no conspiracy, as proven by our magical season a few years ago. I believe we were ranked as high as 4th? As for the money, their sports program is self sustaining and doesn’t use any public funds.

1 Like

Agreed. We could be ranked heading into October if we are 4-0. We’d need some help from teams already in the Top 25 and we’d need the only losses for TT and Arizona to be from us, but hey, it’s possible.

Then again we could easily be 2-2.

1 Like

But, if you are ranked in the Top 25 to start the season, then you can possibly crack the Top 15 if you go 4-0 and things go your way in other games. Better to have a head start. Plus, it gives a little more buzz for the fans that aren’t paying close attention which might increase the crowds by a hair.

I get that 25 teams by default have to be ranked so some might get in on name / reputation / potential. But I think it is natural that UH fans would question why certain in-state schools are ranked when they have been at best mediocre over the last several years.

3 Likes

Those 6 votes represent national street cred we earned in 2015 and 2 games in 2016. With every single-digit win season that passes and ends in a weedeater bowl loss, that street cred will fade. Sad truth in the AAC.

1 Like

Yup, we can’t afford another Levine.

1 Like

Every game is an audition. Win them all. Dominate in most.

Here’s the six points from Lauren Browlow of Durham NC newstation WRAL.

She has UH ranked at 20 in her ballot.

1 Like