Coogs offer C/O '18 G Devonte Bandoo from Hutchinson CC

A big man would help for sure…but is it unreasonable to not think that returning Brady, Harris, adding Gresham and alley that our front line will be at least as good as this year ‘s?

Forgot to add Fabian to that mix as well.

Hopefully these new faces coming in will be able to repeat the same defensible intensity that last year’s squad had. It appears the new guys are all solid offensive additions.

They’re PT will be very limited if they don’t buy in to the defensive end of the court

1 Like

We should be good with the guys returning, but depth would be a huge issue without anther big man.

Your definitely right about that Patrick! Big men kind of remind me of getting good quality lineman in college football…they sure don’t grow on trees! Lol

1 Like

i dont even think we need a big man for production, i feel good with the current guys capabilities at big …to me its more about protecting against a mismatch…sdsu’s height gave us real issues. i could tell from his interviews that sampson was more worried about sdsu than michigan …sampson would take a Michigan rematch over a sdsu rematch if his job depended on winning.

we dont play too many dominant bigs in the aac (technically only tacko), so its not a “necessity” but if we are building a team that will make a deep tournament run we definitely need more height, we will definitely meet tall teams in the tourney without question

size is a real issue for us. our projected starting line up is 6’0, 6’1, 6’4, 6’6, 6’8 (thats tiny)…we have lots of bigs but only 1 is tall…and how comfortable are you playing harris for extended minutes. i dont want to go into the tournament praying for good match up…id rather fell comfortable against who ever e played

Exactly right about rather playing Michigan again instead of SDSU. You could totally see his confidence on how we matched up with Michigan. But at the same time Michigan was pretty freaking tall and a bit more athletic than SDSU. Wouldn’t you say?

michiigans bigs are soft and play like guards… devin can guard him on the 3pt line

This. A big and a guard possible. When I said that we would go for a Juco only if the was Gray/Davis quality, this kid fits the bill. Just look at those stats and shooting percentages.

We’ve got two outstanding shooters in Corey and Armoni. We need a scorer and a big. We will add both

i dont think we are recruiting anyone else …i juste checked the interest for every major transfer, and juco…none have houston…no staff member has followed any new 18 recruits (which is always the biggest sign, we followed zanna 3 weeks before he joined, started following bandoo last week)

i dont think we are even targetting anyone…i think its bandoo and mcgusty or save scholarships for 19 or late transfers like the umass boys

If we aren’t currently scouring Europe and elsewhere overseas for a player like the Michigan kid, then we aren’t really trying. I wouldn’t expect us to be looking locally.

update on bandoo:
Its essentially South Carolina and Vtech…he’ll visit houston if those 2 dont feel right

last week he wanted to make his recruiting simple, only visit 1 school and if he likes it he’ll commit…he visited SC last week didnt commit…and scheduled another visit with Vtech…he is still heavily favored for SC but something is making him second guess

long story short bandoo is a long shot, but the door is not completely closed

Agree with this…if you don’t play defense you will not see the court near as much…I think we could be one of the best defensive teams around next year if we can get someone to help out at the center spot. Maybe a trimmer Breon could do it, or a much improved Harris, or perhaps Gresham…And I expect that if they get into foul trouble or simply aren’t getting the job done coach will use Alley a little in that role.
Defensively I expect Armoni to continue to improve…and I think our trip to the tourney will help him a lot getting his total game going. I am not sure he will ever be able to create his own shots from the perimeter, but with all the other shooters we have I can see him getting plenty of dishes for treys from our guards.
Bottom line is that I like Brooks and think he still has loads of untapped ability…and the same goes for Fabian, who I think could develop into the best power forward we have had here in a while…
Bottom line is that with the new guys coming in it should create some interest amongst Cougar faithful…can’t wait to see the Hinton kid…from what coach has said I think he will eventually become something special…

1 Like

Hopefully, Brooks can become what Dotson was both offensively and defensively. Offensively, he’s almost there, just needs the consistency and, as you said, defensively we should continue to see improvement.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/996063330090434560