Coogs the safe pick

Exactly what happened in the Memphis game 2017, too big a cushion on the receivers without the DB talent to cover, and we didn’t have the offensive scheme to keep up. With the improvement in the secondary, I think this won’t be as big of a problem this year. We have the talent to prevent big plays over the top and Memphis will take a step back offensively.

It also didn’t help that we went 3 and out, fumbled, and intercepted in the last three possessions of that game either.

It is important to note however that an attacking D will suffer the same problems when facing a talented QB/WR duo, i.e. give up big plays. It’s what happened to Orlando in 2016 at Memphis.

1 Like

Yep, I saw a lot of parallels between the game plans for ECU and Memphis, which was much more talented/disciplined. I guess all I’d like to see are in-game adjustments when something isn’t working. Let em dink and dunk all day as long as they aren’t converting those downs!

True but Orlando let our D get burned by running cover 2(a CMD staple) that game. Memphis ran flags and seams and it beat us a handful of times on his decisions alone. He also didn’t communicate on the last play of the game(too much cushion) when we lost because the DB wasn’t coached on the number 1 route on the goaline-a quick slant. I think he was in sabotage mode to be perfectly honest.

Temple is going to be tough this year. Glad we have them at home.

I love a good conspiracy theory!!!

1 Like

lol Why do people feel this way?

They got better as the 2017 season progressed. QB that started the last 5 games went 4-1 and he’s back. #1 WR and a couple of good backs return. Their defense is always tough… Here’s more info from the AAC.

1 Like

9 games of game footage. We better have a plan.

Rice- we win big, Briles runs up the score.

Arizona - like Louisville in 2016, big name QB goes down hard. We win by 3 touchdowns and a student steals Sumlin’s visor on the way to the locker room.

Tech - Revenge is a dish best served hot and dusty and it is very hot and dusty in Lubbock. We win by 4 touchdowns.

Texas Southern - they win halftime and we win everything else. Thanks for the basketball arena usage.

Tulsa - oooh Tulsa is going to pay for last year. 100 is not out of the question.

ECU - they used to be good, I think they will be again. If we ever “Coog-it” a game this would be it. Very UConnish.

Navy - on the road, brings back ver bad memories. I think we win this one though. The last trip to Navy is still fresh in everyone’s mind.

USF - tough game. Glad we have them at home. 3 point victory in the last few minutes.

SMU - see Navy. No one forgets the last trip to Dallas. We win big. REALLY big.

Temple - I am just not buying what they are selling. I think we win this one handily. Its not like we are playing the Eagles.

Tulane - D-King destroys the wave. Last year was a fluke.

Memphis - this is our rival and the games have been great. I think we win this one. But Memphis v Houston and UCF v USF is giving the AAC must see rivalry games. They obviously don’t have the panache of Ohio State v Michigan but the games have been phenomenal. Coogs win in the last second.

AAC chapmionship game - UCF comes to TDECU and goes home with a mythical “best team ever to lose in a conference championship game by 3 touchdowns”. They order rings and banners then realize the wording doesn’t fit.

7 Likes

LOL! Good stuff!

Every year there is a trap game for every team. I think Temple could be ours. Here’s what I see as our extra motivation for each game.

Rice - we’re neighbors and they won’t be much good this year.
Zona and Tech - our only P5 games so Coogs better be on their A game.
TSU - gimme a break.
Tulsa - Last year
ECU - Them vs Rice would be a good game. Could be a trap game like Tulsa last year but I don’t think they have the people like Tulsa
Navy - 2016
USF - They’re good and revenge game for them.
SMU - 2016
Temple - No particular motivation other than wanting to win each game.
SMU - 2016
Tulane - Last year
Memphis - 2016 and 17.

If there’s a “trap” game, it’s Tulane. We play them on a Thursday night after the Temple game. Not much time to prepare for Tulane’s unique offense.

I’d pick ECU as the trap game after Memphis and USF back-to-back, but ECU is just garbage.

1 Like

I think the late games being potential trap games really depends on how the first part of the year goes. If we lose to both Zona and Tech, I think these guys will have had the wind knocked out of them, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see us lose to a team or teams we have no business losing to (like Tulane or SMU). But, if we get past USF and are undefeated, you better believe Applewhite will be in their ears about what happened in 2015 at UConn. This team will rally around Big Ed and will be playing with a swagger we haven’t seen since 2015. I’ll go on the record to say if we make it past USF unscathed, we’ll go undefeated into a NY6 game.

1 Like

Tulane is worrisome too, but we at least have last year’s embarrassment to help motivate the team.

1 Like

I think some people are underestimating the determination that Oliver and King (and talent) are bring to this team. I’m not going to be surprised if we have best season in history.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s underestimating; it’s more along the lines of understanding that the other teams in this conference have pretty good talent and can beat anyone depending on how the ball rolls. Ed can’t play corner and King can’t tackle running backs. Everyone else has to show up as well.

Ed can play running back though and King can play receiver.

1 Like

Not while simultaneously playing QB. lol

3 Likes

I wasn’t speaking to their individual talents. I was talking about their willingness and abilities to lead and inspire. I think these two have it.

4 Likes

Penalty on that guy if he catches it. He didn’t line up as an eligible receiver.

2 Likes