Corona virus - please stop with the politics

Pray that the greedy get healed and the ignorant enlightened.

Stay safe everyone. It’s starting to hit the fan in MN. Do the right things

Good news on the home front here. Son got pretty sick last week with corona-like symptoms and was pushed to the front of the line for testing due to his heavy involvement with the rodeo.

Tests just came back negative, great relief for all. No time to let down guard, but so nice to be out of self imposed (for me) quarantine and for him, mandated.

Be safe all!!

7 Likes

This is the best depiction I’ve seen of the concept of “flattening the curve”, and how various strategies impact the spread of the virus:

2 Likes

And the opposite of “flattening the curve” – New Orleans. 10 days ago there were zero cases in Louisiana. New Orleans now has 176 of Louisiana’s 240 cases. Looking at it now, New Orleans cases appear to rival Chicago and Los Angeles, which have probably at least 10 times the population of NOLA. Lots of examples of socializing instead of social isolation in NOLA.

Map from 3/18/2020 at 10 am:

The entire state of Texas has 137 cases, Houston region has 40 (but only 16 in City of Houston + Harris County). I suppose it could be due to increased testing in LA, lack of testing in TX, but right now based on raw numbers that’s a very rapid increase. I would treat those traveling from NOLA the same as travelers from China/Italy.

We have a friend who just returned from NOLA yesterday – we and her husband had to convince her to cancel a planned but unnecessary “birthday celebration” trip to ABQ today. We stopped her from getting on a plane to ABQ not for fear of her catching coronavirus, but from fear of her spreading it around. Basically putting her into self-quarantine. We’ve also been keeping their daughter – but don’t plan to see them again for at least a few weeks. Some may see it as extreme, but I see it as doing our part…and keeping the virus away from my immune-suppressed wife.

(edited at 10:30 am to update # of cases in Texas/Louisiana)

5 Likes

Just saw there are thousands upon thousands of students on beaches around the U. S. for spring break. Why were the beaches not closed (GREED?). In South Padre they ought to block the causeway and keep the dumb FxxKs there for three weeks.

2 Likes

1 Like

Tremendous fake news - it’s a big farce generated by the media to make money and scare Americans. And people who want to take away our liberties.

That is a weird take that flies in the face of a massive amount of worldwide evidence. The only people that say this seem to be coming from a political viewpoint. What can I personally do to help you understand this situation? I am a doctor in a large healthcare system that has a rising number of hospitalized and critical patients. It is important to me to help you understand to keep you family and the UH family safe. Let me know if I can help.

9 Likes

I was kidding - echoing the absurd previous posts of a few others. Read my post above. I’m a PhD who’s actually in the process of creating a public health major at my institution. We’re completely on the same reasonable and science-based wavelength, ehog.

2 Likes

The politics is mind boggling. Since when did good public health and trying saving lives become so political? (yes I know the answer)

4 Likes

I am going to try and do my part. Tomorrow I will go to my place of work and get my lap stop to begin working from home. I hope more and more have this option and take advantage.

3 Likes

It’s a symptom of a deep destructive cynicism a sizable portion of our population has embraced. Ironically, it is also a virus but it may not have a cure.

Texas is surging. 121 new cases and one new death this AM already (from the numbers above). The texas department of Health website hasnt updated their numbers in 3 days. Irresponsible.

1 Like

Please graph the unemployment rate.

2 Likes

Why don’t you go create a topic about that.

2 Likes

The numbers are skewed because of the lack of action on the part of some nations. Italy, Iran, India, are likely to high. Rate overseas at my last look was about 4+% and in the USA it was running at 1.4%. My stats are two days old so it could have increased. I am partially on self confinement because my wife had a groin pull and needs me at home almost all the time. I bought a wheel chair just so I could take her to the doctor and the chiropractor who actually helped her a lot more than the doctor. Better to be safe than sorry. I have to do the shopping but I don’t get close to people and I try to go when there are fewer people in the early morning. Stay safe fellow coogs.

1 Like