Cougar Baseball Recruiting

Here is a comprehensive list I’ve been trying to keep updated. If you see any needed changes, let me know.

Class of 2018 Recruits

Ty Abraham, OF/P George Ranch HS

Isaiah Blaylock, 6-4, 175, RHP, College of Southern Nevada/Las Vegas,NV

Sean Bretz. 6-5, 240 RHP. Delgado Community College / John Curtis HS, River Ridge La.

Brad Burckel. 5-8, 165. 2B. Lindale HS / Houston Banditos

Kevin Castaneda, 5-7, 210, RHP, KIPP Houston

Derrick Cherry, 6-1, 185, SS/RHP, Goose Creek Memorial HS / Banditos Black

Jase Embry, 6-4, 205, RHP, McLennan CC/Axtell, TX

Brett Esau. 6-3, 200. UTL (3B/SS). Frank Phillips College. Saskatchewan, Canada.

Colby Feris, 6-1, 180, OF/UT, Birdville HS

Carlos Flores, RHP, 6-3,195, SA Churchill

Jordan Gouchenour. 6-1, 200. 2B/Utility. Coastal Bend College (Houston Christian HS)

Tanner Green. 6-2, 180. RHP/OF. Lufkin HS / Houston Banditos

Kobe Hyland, 6-0, 195. MIF. Iowa Western CC. From Alberta Canada.

Spencer Hynes, 6-3, 220, LHP, Grayson Community College

Hunter Mayo. 6-1, 175. RHP. Lufkin Hudson HS / Twelve Baseball White

Tristan McDonough, RHP, 6-1, 205, Whaleyville, MD/Houston Banditos

Cole McMillan, LHP, George Ranch HS

Devon Roedahl. 6-2, 220, RHP San Jacinto JC / Beaumont Westbrook.

Johnathan “Tuda” Thomas OF/P Kinkaid School

Blake Way. 5-10, 200. Catcher. Delgado Community College / Northshore HS, Slidell La.

Craig Yoho, 6-3, 190, SS/RHP, Fischers HS, Indiana

Class of 2019 Verbal Commits

Luke Almendarez, SS/P, Round Rock HS

Austin Bradbury, OF/RHP, Ridge Point HS

Dax Dathe, SS RHP, Stony Point HS/Canes Southwest

Cole Ferguson, 6-5, 220, RHP, Shelbyville, TX/Banditos

Randy Garza. 6-1, 180. RHP/1B. Agua Dulce HS / Houston Banditos

Cade Graves, 6-2, 200. OF/RHP. Pollock Central HS, Pollack TX. Summer Team: Houston Banditos.

Luke Hammond 6-3, 190. OF/1B, The Woodlands HS/Evoshield Canes Texas

Rey “Rey Rey” Mendoza - 6-4 180, LHP, Eagle Pass HS / Lonestar Baseball

Dylan Post. 6-2,195. C/3B. Lincoln-Way Central. Illinois.

Triston Smith, 6-3, 185, RHP Nacogdoches HS

Class of 2020 Verbal Commits

Gerardo “Jerry” Cuevas, 6-0, 195, RHP, Edinburg HS/Elite Squad TX

Bo Hogeboom. 6-0, 180. C 1B, RHP. Argyle HS/Texas Stix Black 2020

Evan Maldonado, 6-1, 163. C, Pioneer HS / Banditos Scout

Kolby Vaughn Parker, 6-0, 175, LHP, Shelbyville HS/Banditos Scout Team 17U

Tre Richardson, 5-9, 155, MIF, Kingwood HS/Dynasty 16U Black

Rome Shubert, 5-11, 155. RHP/SS. Santa Fe HS

Class of 2022 Verbal Commits

Deundre Jones, 5-9, 207, 1B, Manvel HS/Houston Athletics

Rome Shubert plays for the Houston Athletics in the summer

(Patrick) #3

Thanks for doing this. Was going to do it after the season, but you knocked it out. Awesome job.

(Matt Jackson) #4

HUGE holes to fill. Pretty much all the important pitchers sans Carter Henry and Fred V. I would presume Joe Davis will be gone as well. Hollis and Coldiron were seniors. I know we have some really good JUCO kids coming in, especially pitching wise.

(Patrick) #5

Solid class coming in, but the staff will look different next year.

We’ll be stronger offensively next year which should help the staff.

Agree, the core of this great run is all gone now. Next group gets to step in and make their identity.
So proud of this graduating group. Hope they stay involved with Cougar Athletics for a long time as they have lots of heart.

(Randy Randel) #7

Pray, I don’t follow recruiting as closely as I used to. Why do you think we will be better offensively?

My pleasure. You do a good job tracking baseball recruiting. Much appreciated.

(Dustin) #9

Realllllllly hoping Simon Landry falls far enough in the draft to decide to play for UH. 19 homers at the JuCo level…drool…

(sarkcoog) #10

I agree we will miss Fletcher, Cumbie, Hollis & Davis. But I attribute the no quit attitude applies a lot to Lockhart, Padgett, Triolo, and Bielamowicz.

(Patrick) #11

We have a lot returning offensively with Lockhart, Triolo, Bielamowicz, Padgett, and Lovelace and they should all do better next year. Staff really likes Minter and Brown and both may pan out next year. Maybe they’ll figure out Slaughter as well. As @elviento said, if Landry makes it in, he should hopefully replace Davis’s power in the lineup. Also like a couple of the other recruits we’re bringing in from a hitting standpoint, especially up the middle.

Main thing, I think we’ll have more depth offensively while the core will have another year under their belt. Of course, I was wrong about our pitching staff this year (I think I said this may be the best staff we’ve had under Whiting…whoops) so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Tre Richardson is from Dynasty, Kingwood.

Updated to include the last few additions.

(Patrick) #14

So 19 players incoming (counting Landry), 6 (that we know of) outgoing. Going to be some high turnover again and doesn’t include any potential transfers that we get.

Only limit is that the team has to be pared down to 35 by spring; last year we carried 40 in the fall before cutting 4 (Lafond was still listed even though he left).

(srassen7) #15

I know Lester announced he’s going to San Jac next year.

(Patrick) #16

Had a feeling he might be one of the ones to go since he was rarely used this year and wasn’t used in the postseason. Good luck to him.

Have a feeling there will be a few more guys that were in the bullpen that won’t return. That’s usually the case.

The turnover won’t be as heavy as it was two years ago when we had 8 guys return. Really excited for this team.

(Patrick) #17

(Patrick) #18

Pinned this thread because it was a great idea.

Also, updated for the newest recruits and a couple that weren’t on there, alphabetized by their last names, and added links to each one of their threads. Figure that we’ll keep updating as we get new recruit info. Just scroll up to the 1st post to see the latest.

Up to 23 incoming for the Class of 2018.