Cougar Pride Donor Event?

Maybe I missed something, but there were very few people at the spring football event for Cougar Pride members April 9, like not even 100 people. There was no program, no videos of signees, no A.D. or coaches. Not so much as a hand out with the player’s names and numbers. The food was good but I left feeling pretty underwhelmed. Anyone else have an opinion? Seriously, was this what y’all expected?

1 Like

Not well organized at all.

2 Likes

Felt the same. I didn’t even notice coach Holgorsen on the sidelines, of course he could have been in the booth. The food was as good but the environment was weird. 45 minutes after it started I asked the others in my group if they thought the practice started and when I went outside it had.
I was surprised Pezman didn’t make an appearance as usually AD’s are all over those types of events.

3 Likes

Maybe the social distancing thing. You can have a gathering, but you are not encouraging a large group to be together.

The good news is that the vaccine seems to be making its way through Houston and by this fall we should be ready for football.

4 Likes

Northern, i thought this was the end of spring practice, but it isnt…we practice for 2 more weeks, with a scrimmage friday16 and 23…This was nothing but a middle of spring practice scrimmage…i did not view it as an event …but i dont know…

1 Like

Yes, correct. The last 6 practice dates are 13, 14, 16 , 20, 22, 23. I did not realize, per NCAA rules, that Spring practice only allows 15 actual practice days.

It was basically a chance for some donors to get together and get a too early look at the team practice. I had a good time talking with a few friends and getting a look at the team. I realize it is only the middle of the spring and not yet anything anyone can really take seriously as an indicator of what we we have in the fall.

3 Likes

I concur with this assessment. It was a nice event - casual, good to see friends again, good to watch the team. Holgerson was on the field coaching the white team. Just about all donors left early. Had you stayed you could have met all the coaches. They all came up to the club after talking to the team in the locker room. They were all very friendly and did not seem to be in a hurry to leave. Personally I prefer the more casual and intimate nature of the event vs a big production.

3 Likes

No way did our Athletic Department mismanage an event full of donors. That would be way off course for them…

1 Like

I interpret your statement as sarcasm. Having been to the event I can tell you it was not mismanaged nor was it unorganized. It was actually the exact opposite. Check-In was efficient. There was plenty of staff to serve good food and the bar never had a long line. As I said, had people not left before practice was even over they would have had the opportunity to talk to any coach.

5 Likes

I hope the coaches realized there were more donors than what they saw after the practice. I am hoping these next two open practices will bring a lot of fans out to watch the progress of Spring practice.

Maybe if that was announced…

1 Like

And if they invited everyone eligible. Lol

3 Likes

Randy - The email invitation I received indicated all Cougar Pride Donors at the All Conference Club level ($500+) were invited. I was disappointed in the low turn out and hope it is NOT an indication the support for the FB team is going further down. Since there was no formal program (speakers, etc.) or anything other than food and mingle with other Cougar Pride members and friends, I think Pezman should have been in the club during practice time (6:00 - 8;00) talking with us. To me the event was organized, easy entry, John Noud (CP) made a point to thanking my wife and I for attending. I was not aware the coaches were going to be in the club after practice so we left close to 8:00. It was not mentioned in the email invitation the coaches were going to do a meet and greet after practice…

2 Likes

I’ve donated at that level or above since I graduated in 2007 and wasn’t invited (email hasn’t changed and checked my spam folder).

Others have said something similar. I wouldn’t have gone anyway being as I live out of state, but where there is one that was missed, I’m guessing there are many.

Also it doesn’t sound like people really knew what to expect.

I didn’t attend. No indication of anything other than some food and see the team practice. I’m not a spring football guy as it provides more lies than truths.

1 Like

Had I known that the coaches were coming up later, I would have hung around. Oh well.

1 Like
  1. This was a “Friday Night Lights” event…not a signing day event and not a scrimmage. It was an event focused on allowing donors at a certain giving level to watch a practice without the general public. It was a practice with free food for donors, that’s it. I had no expectation of receiving videos of signees.
  2. The team had practice scheduled for 6PM, thus Cougar Pride scheduled their event for 6PM. If/when the team showed up late, that’s when practice started. Not much that could’ve been done about that.
  3. $500+ has always been the cutoff giving level for events of this nature. I believe they might have pulled this from 2020 giving. They could’ve made an error, their office does only have 3 full-time staff members.
    And one other point, I know for a fact, because I heard it with my own ears, that one PARTICULAR coach was NOT happy to be there.
    All in all, I felt it was a great event! Go Coogs!
2 Likes

I never got the invitation. I checked thru two dozen ’please renew your football tickets today!’ emails.

1 Like

I also did not receive the invitation. Well, I was planning on attending this coming Friday but I’ll wait and see. I’m interested in seeing a controlled type scrimmage where we see for ourselves the development of our players. Sounds like that might not be happening this year. Yes times have changed. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1976 and I remember Coach Bill Yeoman taking the red and white game to different parts of the city to sell the program. Heck the very first time I saw the Cougars in person was in 1964 or 65 while in high school. The red and white game was played in McAllen, Texas. Warren McVey did not play, was on the side line all night. Well what ever the current plan is I hope they recruit more people to the games.

1 Like