Cougars beat Cornell 83-53

Cougars Host Cornell at 4 p.m., Saturday
Cougars look to move to 5-0 in first meeting against Big Red inside Hofheinz Pavilion
http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112416aaa.html

ABOUT CORNELL
• Entering Saturday’s game, Cornell has posted a 1-4 record this season… Cornell lost each of its first three games before taking an 82-75 win at Lafayette on Sunday.
• In their most recent action, the Big Red dropped a 76-61 decision at Monmouth on Tuesday.
• Against Lafayette, sophomore forward Stone Gettings and sophomore guard Troy Whiteside led the way with 14 points and two 3-pointers apiece, while senior guard Darryl Smith added 12 points in the losing effort… Smith topped the Big Red with eight rebounds, while sophomore guard Matt Morgan finished with a game-high three assists.
• This season, Morgan leads the team with 15.2 points per game… Gettings stands second with 14.0 points per game but leads the Big Red with 6.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists per contest… Robert Hatter ranks third among the Big Red with 11.2 points per game.
• Former Houston internal operations staffer, student manager and UH graduate David Robertson currently serves as Cornell’s director of operations.
• Head Coach Brian Earl is in his first year as head coach at Cornell and as a collegiate head coach. He has compiled a 1-4 career record.
• Was an assistant coach with Cornell for nine seasons (2007-16) before becoming head coach in April 2016. • Was a two-time All-Ivy League student-athlete for Cornell in playing career, including 1999 Ivy League Player of the Year.
• Saturday’s game will be the first time that Earl has faced Houston or Head Coach Kelvin Sampson during his career
• 1999 graduate of Princeton.

COOGS up 9-0 with 16 minutes to go

18-2 with 12 to go in the half. Looking real good again.

24-2, COOGS; 8 minutes to go. Cornell is terrible

Davis has 10 and 6

34-14, 3:45 left in the half.

45-26 at the half.

Decent crowd; bigger than normal. No students.

51-31, 15:56 left

58-38, 11:48 left

65-43, 8 minutes left.

75-48 with 4 to go.

COOGS continue to blow the weak teams out. Good sign.

COOGS win, 83-53!!!

Visit to LSU next.

Competition is about to pick up a few notches up.

Same conference from Houston Roundball Review (can hear the questions a bit better and it goes about a minute longer where CKS talks about context in college basketball and mentions the upcoming LSU game):

Armoni Brooks is the future. He just needs to mature physical wise. He could be a future 20 ppg scorer.

1 Like

He’ll take over Dotson’s spot next year. Outstanding talent.

I love Coach. Hope we can turn the negative Herman energy into some positive bball energy.

2 Likes

Going to Hofheinz and watching that win was a bit therapeutic. Wish there was something we could do to get more fans in seats.

Something also needs to be done about the concessions. When the game isn’t crowded, there’s no excuse for the lines to move as slowly as they do.

1 Like

Wish I could have made it. I hate missing a weekend home game but I was still on the road. The win was a bright spot in an otherwise dismal sports weekend. Being there would have made me feel better about life. Go Coogs!