Cougars football stock report: Week 2

Season ticket sales: Since winning 13 games and playing in a New Year’s Six bowl in 2015, the Cougars have seen a decline in season-ticket sales in each of the last three seasons. After reaching a record 22,150 in 2016, the Cougars had 15,521 in 2017 and had sold 13,375 through the middle of August.

Why a season ticket stat before the premiere home game of the season (most likely)? This stat could have have been revealed much earlier or buried until the TSU game.

Facts are facts. Declining by almost half in two years is highly concerning for our athletic department and newsworthy. Not like the Chronicle would, but they have no obligation to bury a story like that. That is significant news. This subject has been discussed in the Arizona Ticket Thread…

1 Like

JD doesn’t work or rep the Coogs as you know. As Beat Writer for Chron on all UH Athletics his job is to put info out to the public. The article and headline were things up or down this week. No way around it,the athletic dept has some work to do w attendance figures not looking good going into first Home game. Sure few mos ago they were expecting a sellout for AZ gm or very close to it. #worktobedone #win

I am not asking him to rep the Coogs. My point is why release this information about season tickets in a “Week 2 Report Card” if the numbers were through mid-August? If the AD just gave him the numbers, that might explain the timing but I would question why the AD would release them now. Is he going to continue to put it in the Bad for every week as he gets updates about the 4-game packs and other ticket sales? It seemed like an odd thing to pop up before the Week 2 home opener.

1 Like

imo no need to hide #s. Maybe it will open eyes and get more Coog Alumni to buy tiks. The #s are the #s don’t see reason to hide them. I had estimated seasn tik sales to be 14-15k for 2018, so I don’t think this is any big surprise to long time Coog supporters here on forum or in general.

1 Like

Power Five wins: The Cougars are 7-1 in their last eight games against teams from the so-called power leagues. The only loss was to Texas Tech last season.

Applewhite better not make it 2 in a row tomorrow

11 a.m. kickoffs: Two straight early kickoffs to begin the season. The matchup with Arizona warranted a night kickoff.

Looks like he agrees with me too.

They are too darn high.

If I recall, the season ticket prices actually went up a little in some sections (when accounting for Cougar Pride). Now keep that in mind when we compare 2016 and 2017 schedules.

2016 we were ranked, we played 7 home games including one in Reliant and two preseason top 25 teams (one top 5).

2017 we were unranked, we played 6 home games, none receiving a single preseason vote

There is really no reason to use 2016 as part of a stock report when the value of the tickets at the same price was completely different.

The drop off from 2017 to 2018 though, do we really have to put a spot light on the elephant in the room?

1 Like

Well, it is what it is! I stop being concern about session ticket sales along time ago. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

How many season tickets sold for the 2015 season? Prediction: we win enough and play well enough to make the NY6 trip and win that game, we’ll sell 20k+ for 2019. Funny how that works.

5 Likes

I’ll hit up JD on Twitter. Ask for 2014 and 2015. See if he responds.

1 Like

Who wants to tailgate at 11am? Sometimes ok but almost every week? Smh

I think they were ~15K. We are likely headed for our lowest season ticket number since moving to TDECU.

1 Like

15,022 in 2014 and 14,650 in 2015.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/amp/UH-s-season-ticket-streak-a-sign-of-the-good-times-6852885.php

2 Likes

Interesting the slight drop off from 2014 to 2015. The 2015 home schedule on paper looked slightly better than the 2014 schedule. Guess it goes to show that they hype of a high profile new coach doesn’t not make up for the lackluster season performance of the previous coach.
2013 (8 wins)
2014 - 15022 (8 wins)
2015 - 14650 (13 wins)
2016 - *22150 (9 wins)
2017 - 15521 (7 wins)
2018 - 13375

If you consider 2016 ranking and schedule an anomaly then 8 wins or less, sales go down, 9 wins or more sales go up.

2 Likes

Regarding ticket sales, I think a large number of alums by extra tickets to give away if times are tough or not winning so much, the count goes down (discretionary).

Based on the Cage Rage, I am looking for Pez and his staff to deliver a great gameday experience and think these numbers will go up from here. It will help if we can beat AZ and build some buzz.

1 Like

There is a lot going on in these few years (new stadium, 3 coaches, NY6, Big 12 rumors, etc.) so it’s hard to pull too much out of it. 2017 to 2018 is pretty telling though. Things were pretty constant between those 2 years.

Herman was a factor. When he was here and winning he was also demanding that UH alumni, students and fans show their support. He demanded a new indoor training facility. He was roundly criticized for his demands. But a) he won games and got the players/student body and lazy alums to buy in; and b) he worked it!**** None of those actions have been duplicated.
And…we talk ourselves down as bad or worse than any other school. Spell Houston: fickle