Cougars football stock report: Week 2

Major is honestly just a boring HC. Herman may not have been the genius we made him out to be but he did hype up the team and was a great cheerleader for UH. He always was saying we had the best this and and best that.

Major looks like a nascar driver in interviews. He is so boring has no energy and just makes me not care, which is sad because this could be a great team.

If UH wants to increase sales they’ve got to stand out some how. Hopefully the briles offense will do it but they’d need to score a crap ton to get on the media.

1 Like

We had a new shiny stadium in 2015 and broke 15k season tickets for the first time since I have been a fan. Then Levine craps the bed against UTSA and gets fired. Not a huge dropoff of 372 season tickets, but still a dropoff as we bring in a new coordinator and an unknown commodity. He said a lot that first offseason but we had heard that song and dance before of being bigger, stronger and faster. Then we indeed got bigger, stronger and faster and sold 7000 more season tickets. I believe we also brought on a dedicated sales team that he demanded as well. We lose that coach and had a huge coaching search that brought us the current Applewhite dilemma. No longer did we have a coach that anyone else wanted and h demanded nothing publicly. No buzz, no extra tickets and our gains of 7k tickets were erased. So we went the cheap continuity route and it cost us a cool million dollars in ticket sales. Then he craps the bed in his first season with losses to Tulane and Tulsa and manages to win 7 games. His recruits as he recruited them under Herman. And we lose another 2000 tickets. So it is costing us 1.5 millionish a year right now in revenue because of our hiring a coach that will be here for the long haul, because no one wants to hire him.

I’m ok with CMA being boring as long as he wins. Nick Saban is about as boring as it gets, but he wins, so the Bama fan base is fine with it. I don’t want to start another thread battle about how CMA will end up doing here, but the staff adjustments he made in the offseason give me great hope.

The problem for Houston that so many programs don’t have to deal with is direct competition in terms of time and dollars with the Texans, Astros and Rockets. The Astros will be in the post-season squarely in the prime of this season. The Rockets kick off the regular season in mid-October and every now and then the Texans will have an overlapping Thursday night game. Even when the Rockets and Texans suck, they have much larger fan bases than the Coogs and the overlap will chew away at the casual Coog fan base. That’s where it’s helpful to have a charismatic head coach, but even then I don’t think it makes much of a dent.

For example, I remember in 2015 we had a Thursday night game at TDECU against SMU. We were 4-0 and 2 games removed from that thrilling 34-31 victory over Louisville on the road. Thursday night games are tough for most people to get to anyway, but the 1-3 Texans led by Bryan Hoyer and Ryan Mallett also had a home game that night against the Colts. Reported attendance for the Texans that night was 69,904. Reported attendance for UH that night was 25,204, despite averaging 33,980 per home game that year. I say “reported attendance” because I was at that game and there wasn’t anywhere near 25k fans there that night. If I had to guess, I would say maybe 15k tickets were actually scanned for that game.

1 Like

saban is boring? what?

Saban is boring in interviews, YES!

1 Like

Saban is far from boring.

The coke on podium of the last video is so lame. LOL. It could only get better if he pulled one of these numbers at the end of the interview.

tumblr_inline_o660wcaG6S1qz9244_500

That Coke on podium pays Univ Alabama a lot of $$$. There for a reason!

Oh, I know. That’s what makes it so lame.

Hmmmm. We’ll disagree on that one. Business 101. A.J. Hinch sits in front of podium after every Home gm w Minute Maid bottles in front of him.
Be nice if UH brand was big enough to have advertisement when CMA gets in front of podium.

He is sponsored by Memorial Hermann, Nike and it looks like 7 cell phone makers…:sunglasses:

7 Likes

The flip phone must be from the Chronicle.

1 Like

Alfred, now I understand where u are coming from. I don’t watch Saturday morning cartoons. Keep me posted.

I meant boring in that he doesn’t hang out with local rappers or get grills or call in to local radio stations to pick fights. Getting fired up over questions from the media is not all that intriguing to me.

1 Like

Win 11 games this year. Next years ticket sales go up. Win 9 games this year they probably stay around the same. Less than 9 and they will drop. It took a world series win to get the astros full. And, this happened the year AFTER they won. Houston will support coogs with season ticket sales if we win big. Otherwise 15k is what were looking at unless we break into a new conference with “name” schools.

3 Likes

I’m not saying Alabama shouldn’t do it. We would do the same. That doesn’t make it less lame. JMO. I laugh when I see stuff like that. It gets my attention though which is the point.

Skinniest flip phone ever. haha

You keep putting the word “lame” in every post on the subject. That’s where we strongly disagree. Moving on!

Applewhite had Paul Wall, Art Briles and Mack Brown visit this preseason and is still boring. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s how I feel about it and that’s why that word is every post. Fair enough.