Cougars mailbag: Is Major Applewhite on the hot seat?

With the way the schedule sets up, it would be stunning if the Cougars finish with a losing record. Something unforeseen would have to go terribly wrong. In my season breakdown, I had the Cougars 10-2 with the two losses both on the road against Texas Tech and Memphis. I was on the fence about two other games (Arizona and Navy), but even so I think this is at least an 8-win team during the regular season.

President Khator already set the UH standard for firing a coach and with a 8-4 season, Applewhite will be on the hot seat.

I would be shocked and incredibly disappointed if we finish this season with 4 losses, even counting a bowl game.

3 Likes

These two questions:

Where, if anywhere, do you see a potential stumbling block like Tulsa and Tulane last season? – Ryan H., The Woodlands

Temple is receiving a lot of preseason buzz as a team that could challenge in the East division. The schools have traditionally played close games, and I would expect the Nov. 10 meeting to be no different. Also keep an eye on the Oct. 20 game against Navy in Annapolis, Md.

Out of all the transfers this offseason, which do you think makes the biggest impact? – Gilbert M., The Heights

Running back Terence Williams. Just two years ago, Williams was a 1,000-yard rusher in the Big 12. He is familiar with Kendal Briles’ system and gives the Cougars a big, physical back. My second choice is receiver Raelon Singleton. The Cougars needed an experienced and proven pass-catcher and Singleton fits the bill.

Yes he is on the hot seat. He cant afford to have another season as last year.

There’s a good chance the AAC champion earns the Group of Five spot in a New Year’s Six bowl, which is the Fiesta Bowl this year.

I thought it was between the Fiesta and Peach?

It is, but the Peach hosted last year and the CFP tries to move it between the two yearly. Although it is an option, it is highly unlikely.

The bowls have an order to select at-large schools each year and the G5 representative is included in that selection
and usually falls to whoever picks last. The Peach Bowl had the last choice last year which means they’ll have the next-to-last choice this year; more than likely, they won’t take the G5 rep with that spot. Fiesta picks last so they’ll probably “end up” with the G5 rep.

There may be special cases where the Peach may not take a P5 at-large. For example, if it came down to Washington State vs. a UCF/Houston, the Peach Bowl might take UCF/Houston instead.

I hope Peach. I want to go back to Atlanta to see the new stadium and I took off the Friday before the game.

1 Like

What kind of reception do you think fans give former coach Kevin Sumlin (now with Arizona) in Week 2 at TDECU Stadium? – Allan D., Houston

Some might not be suitable for a family newspaper.

I lol’ed

2 Likes