COUGARS

Perhaps you mean photographic memory?

7 Likes

Man, I would recommend back up and getting out of there. They are wild animals and can’t be predicted. Note the big bend area in Texas on the map below.

From the website below:
“The environmental movement was also responsible for a greater appreciation and understanding of the natural world and the role of predators in it. It culminated in the passage of the Endangered Species Act in 1973 which made cougars a managed and protected species. Ironically, as humans began invading cougar territory the cougar population - thanks to the Endangered Species Act - also began a steep rise as well.”

Same thing happened with the North American Alligator. It was an endangered species and now they are in subdivisions, occasional swimming pools, etc.

http://www.naturealmanac.com/cougars/attacks.html

I would like to see Jaguars in Texas. The last sighting of a Jaguar in the RGV was 1946.

I saw a jaguar going down the Rio grande perched on a ledge over looking the river. Mid 70s

A buddy of mine sent me a pic from his deer camera in northern Louisiana. That sumbich was big! I mean real ### big. Like a thoroughbred with a mouth full of razor blades.

1 Like

It is back in 2009 but have seen two cougars, one in Gregory, Texas on the old mud pits and another one between Portland, Texas and Refugio.

I’m surprised it was that recent.

Cougars genuinely scare me because I’ve heard that most people that are attacked by them never saw it heard the Cougar until they were attacked.

I was hiking a trail at the base of the Chisos mountains in Big Bend a few years ago. It was an in and out hike the same way and took most of a day. In the most isolated part of the trail on my way back I noticed big cougar paw prints over my foot prints. I think it may have been stalking me. Pretty spooky.

LMAO! Maybe he gets turned on by the sight of a cougar? :laughing: :joy:

1 Like

I am old enough to remember the good times of Shasta on campus and at all sporting events. Would have been nice to have a zoo like habitat on campus. Back in the day we had cows, collies, cougars, bears and pony’s.

2 Likes

BACK IN THE 50’S WE PLAYED THE AGGIES JUST ABOUT EVERY YEAR, THE COUGAR
GARD WOULD TAKE HER ON OUT OF TOWN TRIPS. WE WERE LINING UP TO PLAY THE
AGGIES AND THEIR DOG RAN OVER TO OUR SIDE OF THE FIELD BARKING AND RAISING
HELL. AS THE DOG RAN DOWN THE SIDELINES ALL OF A SUDDEN THERE WAS SHASTA
THAT DOG DID ABOUT FACE AND SCREAMED OUT OF OUR SIDE. WE STARTD YELLING
TURN HER LOOSE. SHASTA EVEN SEEMED TO ENJOY THE INCOUNTER. THE DOG NEVER
CAME BACK TO OUR SIDE OF THE FIELD. POOOOR AGGGGIEEES.

6 Likes

nope! Don’t have anything to do with sports, just braggin’ on my ability to recollect.

I remember seeing her bristle up when the little Baylor bear was trotted across the field. She musta been a bit hungry! In THOSE DAYS we said “Eat 'em up, Eat 'em up RAH, RAH, RAH” and then some snowflake got offended.

3 Likes

I remember the game in the Dome against the Aggies where we were beating them 30-0, the endzone that was full of corps had emptied and many were seated, not standing.

And the sound echoed in the Dome “POOOOR AGGGGIEEES” and a sign that read “aTm” on an upper level dropped the papers covering the end letters to say “eaTme” like in National Lampoon’s “Animal House” released in 1978 Animal House (10/10) Movie CLIP - Enter the Deathmobile (1978) HD - YouTube

I used to play a lot of golf at the Anahuac Golf Club and seeing gators, huge turtles and deer wasn’t that unusual but one day there were some State Game folks at the clubhouse because someone reported a ‘cougar’ out in the brush along one of the holes. I don’t know if they ever found one but I always figured it was BS. I doubt a cat like that would hang around with that many people in the area.

Gene,
i thought about you when we were in Ruidoso. We drove around and i believe it was the Alto subdivision where we ran into a large herd of elk on a corner lot. Must have been about 50. Whereas, we drove all the way to Cloudcroft on 244 , through the reservation, and never saw a one.

I thought we still said this?

1 Like

Now it finishes with go. Coogs go

1 Like

So it was the rah that offended the snowflake?

1 Like