Could a Dane have run for a first @ Tech?

I was at the game in Lubbock and noticed several things times Dane could have run for a first down as the Tech defense on one side or the other turned and ran back to block without even looking at Roy. Don’t know why he didn’t see this and jog to a first.
Anybody else notice this? Don’t know if it would have changed the outcome, but sure appeared to be there for the taking at least once.
BTW This isn’t a knock on Dane, just an observation.
#GOCoog!

I was there also a noticed the same thing at least 2-3 times. It could have made a difference but he was probably focused on making a solid kick and not running. I would have thought that the coaches in the box would have seen the same thing. Maybe they did. If so, I hope they at least discussed taking advantage of this situation. Could it have made a difference? In a back and forth game where stops by either D were limited, anything that could have kept a drive alive should have helped.

1 Like

It looked like it on tv to me and was wondering why they didn’t try it. I wonder after the Bryson Smith trick play failed they got scared to try anything else.

1 Like

That is a coaching call/observation…or in this case a missed observation !!

2 Likes

He could probably run more yards than his punts. Ok sorry, couldn’t resist. Haven’t been all that impressed with his foot. Great guy tho but just expected him to be booming these things since he’s been here.

1 Like

He’s not a “conventional” punter, but I think he’s been pretty effective, save the occasional shank. His kicks generally aren’t returned, and they can be hard for returners to catch cleanly.

2 Likes

good points :+1:

Roy Dane also does a pretty good job of placing punts within the 15 yard line instead of into the end zone.

1 Like

Another in the column of “we need a dedicated special teams coach.” Remember, our special teams coach is also the tight ends coach and may not be watching for things like this.

5 Likes

We don’t need a punter to average 50-plus as a lot of our drives stall between the 30’s. Dane gets good hang time and as a poster pointed out, most are rarely returned and a lot are inside the opponent’s 20. We usually do a good job with “stealing yards” on special teams.

1 Like

Absolutely pray10!

I’ve noticed Dane could have run on a lot of punts since he’s been here but I can only remember one fake and was a completed pass. I’m kinda disappointed in how we’ve utilized him since his arrival. I doubt I’m the only person who thought getting an Aussie Rules punter would lead to a lot of fakes or at least the threat of them.

That said I don’t mind that we haven’t done it yet. Save it for AAC play vs better teams when it would be more meaningful. Last thing I’d like to see is UH bust it out this week vs TSU needlessly and thus highlight it for other teams to be weary…that’s not how you surprise anyone.