COULD THEY CANCEL MARCH MADNESS (Yes)

I hope not but there are those calling for this.

Interesting. Not sure what to think at this point. I’m warming up to the idea of players playing in the tournament without fans. At least we could see the games on TV. Maybe they could pipe the sound of fans cheering into the speakers.

Anyone see that a Utah fan at the Gonzaga-BYU basketball game tested positive? He was sitting among 19,000 fans. Geez. Crazy. Kind of pisses me off that people keep saying the mask doesn’t help. Yeah, it might not fully protect you from getting it, but it sure is hell helps the infected from spreading it by sneezing and coughing on people.

2 Likes

0% chance…worst case is no fans and that is unlikley atleast until some massive out break happens

too much money involved…cbs paid 1 billion for those rights

1 Like

a lot can and will happen in the next couple weeks.

I don’t think the tournament will be canceled, but I wouldn’t be surprised if sites have to change and fans are limited.

The media has whipped things into a frenzy. You would think a category 7 or higher hurricane wide enough to wipe out the whole country was on it’s way. Not a single role of toilet paper is safe from the onslaught.

6 Likes

Social media, maybe, like on here. But, I pay attention to the news media who are interviewing health officials and state officials who are reporting their findings and recommendations. I don’t necessarily pay attention to reporters’ opinions since they’re not professionals in the medical field. Good grief, if we didn’t watch the news, how would we know that anything is happening. I choose to not be ignorant. I will absorb the information and make up my own mind how I should proceed to protect myself.

5 Likes

As a physician here is my take on the situation:

If you are young and healthy and have no elderly or at risk people in the household, go and enjoy the game. If you do, know that you are at risk of contracting and transmitting the disease even without symptoms. Do take appropriate precautions during and after. Be prepare to self quarantine if cases are later discover at the game.

If you are older or with preexisting medical conditions, stay home. You don’t have to let the NCAA make that decision for you.

CJ

16 Likes

All it will take is some lawyer to get someone that’s sick to sue. That’s what companies/schools are really afraid of.

1 Like

here’s my take…i’m not that concerned at all. people in the identified high risk categories need to make some lifestyle choices and those who come in contact frequently with those in high risk cat. should probably avoid things like stadiums and airplanes etc.
for most people covid-19 infection is going to be a mild experience.

my real concern is that a team will get some sick players mid tourney…and then what? that team who just made the sweet 16 has to quarantine and forfiet?

WHO data shows almost all of the transmission in China was among closely related individuals. If they don’t have fans in the stands for March Madness it won’t make much difference in the spread and cancelling it entirely would be just silliness.

Actually, they did, and Obama declared a state of emergency.

4 Likes

looks like rodeo is gonna shut down…this could get ugly quick for basketball.

Not surprisingly - this thread quickly devolved into pure “poliitical posturing.” That seems a shame since we all know that the Lizard people from Klathu 9 are being imported by the “libtards” to spread their scaly viruses and infections among innocent church goers who spend their lives helping the sick and the poor. The sheer reach of the conspiracy is only now being understood. The CDC moved to Area 51 - but only to help the reptilians make a more lethal bug. Thank goodness Comrade Q has all the inside poop - straignt from the emitting orifice of our most glorious most equal Dear Leader.

[I apologize to serious Coog fans - and feel sure this thread will not long last - but sometimes the extent to which there are those that have a deep seated need to turn everything into a “lib” conspiracy - is both humorous and in this case, dangerous]

10 Likes

Lol. Not a chance in hell that the NCAA tourney is cancelled. We’re talking billions of dollars here.

Read where the NCAA has insurance to cover a cancellation. If I can find it again I will post it. He announced that will be made officially in a few minutes that the rodeo is canceled, the actual end date has not been announced yet

Corona has wiped out over $5 trillion in equity value of US stocks. A couple billion for march madness is child’s play comparatively right now.

I think the tournament still happens but at the current trajectory I’m guessing they don’t allow spectators for the most part.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/1237781555738705920?s=21

No idea of legitimacy of tweet, but seems logical.

1 Like

It’s not child’s play for the NCAA. Or Vegas.

1 Like

Don’t underestimate the greed of the NCAA either…

2 Likes

Check prices on flights and hotels to Vegas for next weekend, which is historically a big weekend to go right in the middle of spring break and march madness opening weekend. Looks like there’s a massive dropoff in people going. That’s a much bigger issue than the sports book revenue I’m guessing.

And the loss of revenue to the service economy in Austin for SXSW isn’t child’s play for them, either. However, that didn’t stop the city from cancelling it.

I’m betting it doesn’t get cancelled but if you think a couple billion dollars makes something untouchable I think you are missing the scale of the impact this is having on the worldwide economy right now.

Also, for what it’s worth that number might be high if they do it without fans (which seems reasonably plausible right now) or if fan attendance drops off dramatically (seems very likely). I think CBS pays about $1bn for the tv rights. After substracting all the costs of putting on the tournament, travel, venue costs, tv production costs, etc. the take home should be comfortably south of $1 billion without revenue from fan attendance.

1 Like