Covid-19 stats, projections, trends, graphs

Ok that was in my top ten funniest Coogfans posts.

Depends, would you flag yourself?

2 Likes

Here’s a really scary projection:

“We’re projecting a lot of chaos across the country as we head into the fall,” said Dr. Peter Hotez, the director of Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Vaccine Development. [Geez, guess he’s in charge of that and infectious diseases at the Baylor College of Medicine]. “… the US leads the world in the number of new cases and deaths over the last seven days, and this has been true for the last few months. So our epidemic is spiraling out of control. The new estimates are 300,000 deaths by December and possibly 400,000 by January. To put that number in perspective, that’s the number of Americans that died in World War II. We’re dealing with something of that magnitude, and still no plan for control at all.”

1 Like

Yeah the projections saying 200k dead by the end of the are extrapolating the trend we are on now. But what happens in the fall is largely unknown. Between schools opening and the weather cooling, we could see a sharp inflection in the curve. Several experts have alluded to this but it’s hard to pin a hard number down because the assumptions driving the models and forecasts are situationally different from what we will experience in the fall

Yes, it’s a projection, not a fact. The numbers could and hopefully will turn out better, but there’s cause for alarm. They’re basing numbers on current trajectories, and things could get worse. There’s growing evidence that kids, who are returning to crowded buildings en masse, are more significant carriers of Covid than was originally thought, many still see wearing masks as some kind of overbearing infringement on liberty, and winter and flu season are just around the corner. I mean I would like to be optimistic, but what have we seen to validate such an outlook? And I probably respect Hotez, who apparently is director of vaccines at Texas Children’s Hospital as well as head of infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine (probably not going to be in charge of two first-rate departments in the Medical Center unless you’re something of a wunderkind), as much as any public health expert out there.

1 Like
2 Likes

Just a couple of different articles about each country. If you look at yesterday in the worldometer Sweden had half the number of new cases Norway did and is twice the size, though. I think that may be the first day they’ve passed but Sweden has been sharply trending down and Norway is starting to creep up a little.

Sounds like you are personally closer to what’s going on in each place than I am since I’m not at all other than reading about them here and there.

I agree about the personal responsibility point to an extent but have some further thoughts I may follow with when I have more time. In any event, Sweden’s massive drop is still noteworthy even if that’s the only reason and bears continued monitoring.

Ok, I was looking at the 7 day average. Sweden had been very slowly creeping up since July 27th when they were averaging 188, got up to 272 before the very low number yesterday which dropped it to 241. Sometimes worldometer will be off and sometimes the country for whatever reason just has random low days, so it can be checked out next week. Typically it is Sundays and Mondays which are lower so a low number on a Friday is weird.

I am in the process of having some guys get work visas in a few countries in Europe right now and there have been no signs of issues yet. Even in Spain who is having a worrying spike (for them), everything is on schedule.

4 Likes

Texas is behind NYC (which will tell you how hard hit NYC was) and even NY - NYC. Either way we already have a lot dead and we have 5 months left in the year.
NY got unlucky in that they got contaminated before the USA was testing for it… so it had a chance to get really bad before anyone knew to do anything about it.
I did see that NY’s current seven day positive testing percentage is at 0.93% Which is incredibly low. Texas has actually gone back up to over 19% seven day average, which means we aren’t getting a real picture of our daily infections at this time.

3 Likes

Texas says, “Hold my beer.” Or, be patient.

https://twitter.com/cjtackett/status/1292482339331813376?s=21

1 Like

Surprise, surprise

The population of the U.S. is 331 million while the rest of the world has a population of 7.47 billion, giving us a little over 4% of the global population. At the same time, the U.S. has 160,000 COVID deaths while the rest of the world has 555,000 leaving America with over 22% of the global deaths from the virus!!

1. The U.S. ranks 181st out of the total 188 countries in terms of worst fatality rates.

2. Our fatality rate (4.7 deaths per 10,000 population) versus the rest of the world (.72 per 10,000) is 6 1/2 TIMES GREATER than the (non-U.S.) global rate !!

3. If our fatality rate were the same as the global rate, we’d only have 24,000 deaths

4. Our pathetic relative international performance is even more pronounced when contrasted with some of the advanced countries. The U.S. death rate is 100 times greater than the following countries: Singapore, New Zealand, China

2 Likes

Yeah, New Zealand has had ZERO NEW CASES IN OVER THREE MONTHS! Good lord! I realize we’re not New Zealand, but there’s no good reason (well, there is, but I don’t want my post deleted) why they are at zero and we’ve topped five million. What a disgrace and embarrassment.

3 Likes

people who smoke don’t do it in moderation. My brother has been doing it for decades. He went in for tests and they put him on chemo for 6 months. At the end they told him he was clear and he started smoking the week after he finished. A good friend of mine whose dad was dying from lung cancer told his wife the last night of his life that he just wished he had a cigarette to smoke the last time he saw his wife. It really is an addiction. It took my son years to quit. He started when he was in the marines. And he is now at 31.

First, very concerning that the positive rate has gotten to over 19%. Second, thanks for sharing because I had never seen that guy’s site before. Great data and graphs on there.

1 Like

Here are some data points with a quick internet search that not one media outlet is talking about.
We get numbers every single day. We now need to have clear data on the following:

COVID-19 patients associated with obesity
COVID-19 patients associated with diabetes
COVID-19 patients - Children associated with obesity
COVID-19 patients - Children associated with diabetes

How many children are obese and/or have diabetes and are attending school?
How many of the children that are obese and/or are diabetes have recently been infected with COVID-19?
European data clearly showed that children rarely are infected or spread the chinese virus. What the European data does not show is the % number of children with obesity and/or with diabetes.

Obesity: Facts, Figures, Guidelines.

European obesity rate:

Just California alone:

You are correct, we are paying the price of accepting a really bad lifestyle and eating habits. The sad thing is that that same bad lifestyle and eating habits were adopted by children.

Yes and yes. This would be the perfect time for the CDC to announce a nationwide obesity program align with COVID-19. The two are intertwined. This is a win/win for the entire country. The message would be crystal clear.
“Are you or your child, children overweight? Because of it you have an X % chance of getting COVID-19”
“This is how you can protect yourself”
Is the CDC doing this? You know the answer.
In the private sector or military you adapt to adversity. Since the beginning of this pandemic the CDC has been all over the place including fauci.

This doctor is correct:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-coronavirus-obesity-20200810-k5w53e5bpfb3zivum73ihdhx4u-story.html%3FoutputType=amp

Another great point Coog51. We also have no idea on how supplements interact with COVID-19.