Cronin leaves Cinci for UCLA

Wow!

3 Likes

Oh brother, now Cincy needs a coach? Try Musselman first before he finds a home in Arky…

3 Likes

UCLA had to give him a 6-year, $24mm deal. $4 million a year. And for what?

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1115655518859681792

4 Likes

Don’t think he liked not being top paid Coach in AAC considering he thought Cincy was top consistent program in league. After CKS raise, sure he had discussions with UC to put him closer in line ( was currently at 2.2 mil/ per yr ) with Sampson and Marshall – 3.5mil at WSU. Good coach, will do well in Pac12.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1115651055692451840?s=21

Not a bad deal at all.

1 Like

Not sure who they would go after now…but Brian Gregory would be a great fit I think. Doubt he leaves for a school in the same conference though.

1 Like

I bet Cinci has Yuranobodychek consulting them on their new coach search…

2 Likes

Lol! Have Cincy sniffing around Houston…

1 Like

Kellen to Cinci? Son vs Father? Ohhhhhhh the intrigue. LOL

2 Likes

Ummm…Brian Gregory would take that job in a heartbeat!

2 Likes

That is not an “Admiral” thing for you to be saying Jimmy…

2 Likes

Read a UC message board…some aren’t happy
“Well mick Cronin haters you got what you wanted,”

Some are
"Great day to be a Bearcat fan!! "

Really didn’t want the AAC to lose a top coach unless Cincy can hire a homerun.

6 Likes

And before that, Howland took them to 3 straight Final Fours and still canned…

1 Like

Funny, on SiriusXM channel 84 this morning, (I had left it on from listening to part of last night’s game) they were saying how UCLA goes through coaches with little to show for it that maybe it is time for the AD to go.

1 Like

Breaking: Clyde Drexler to Cincy!

Edit: oops, should say Breaking Bad, because meth.

2 Likes

Momma Sampson says not happening! :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve grown to respect and like Cronin and wish him well at UCLA. This is a key hire for Cincy, the balance of power is shifting in the AAC.

7 Likes

I think we need UH + UC + UCF to be near the top of both Football and Basketball every season and we need Memphis and Temple to also be building to be near to top in both (which they are). Also, we need Wichita State to be the solid basketball program that they are and Navy the consistent program in Football.

If we can get that, year in and year out, plus a surprise or two by the bottom half…I think we will continue to build our conference.

So YES! this is a big hire for Cincinnati and for the American.

6 Likes

But, he has 9 straight tournament appearances.

4 Likes