Crow Time

Just curious, aldineblue, do you still feel the same as last week about the shovel ? ? ? ? ?

Are you talking about the TD Pass to TE from 5 yard line? It was Anderson…they ran zone read play action. TE blocked on ILB Brown and released. Anderson was looking at edge thinking run. He had the TE and can’t commit till run till sure it’s a pass. Egbule was edge player. I think it was 2nd and goal. We had them 2nd goal at 10 and Fleming jumped off. Good play call but Anderson needs do his job

Can’t be that play. It was an empty set.

Edit: regardless, Anderson still needs to do his job. I’m also starting to wonder about these “highly rated” recruits that decide to transfer here. The only one that’s really played consistently good is Chambers. Allen, Watkins, and Anderson just haven’t shown their rating on the field.

Watkins has been pretty good. He’s not a shutdown CB, but he wasn’t that at Notre Dame. At times this year, he’s been our best CB.

Anderson is young, still only a sophomore. He’s had some slip-ups, but he’ll be ok. He’s been our best safety this year, which says something about our lack of depth at the position with G.Davis our. If you saw him at Mississippi, you’d know he’s unpolished.

R.Singleton has looked good at WR when healthy. Just so much depth at the position that we probably don’t need to bring in transfers at the position anymore.

Wish we had Owens at ILB…injury bug got him.

Dormady…Jury is still out, but he was an insurance policy for King anyway.

When we get our depth back up to where it needs to be (Thanks Herman) we won’t need grad transfers anymore. Remember, they’re transferring for a reason and usually arent superstars without baggage.

3 Likes

Oh I understand. That’s the issue with the rating system. Usually 5 star rated players are graded that high because chances of them being an impact player(most likely a starter) is very high. I was throwing a jab at the people who are enamored with the 5 star tags that transfer here with some players and end up shocked at the contrary.

This is why you wait until the end of a season before you gloat.

5 Likes

Pray good points.
Anderson is soft I’m sorry to say. He’s killing us in run game…slow to come up and stick his head in. Has had coverage blown each last 2 weeks for TDs. I was expecting more. Got 2 more years as you said so we will see.
Watkins has been hot and cold I agree and if he was great he would not have left ND. But he’s our best man cover guy I agree.
Owens…that’s been a killer. He’s a guy who played a lot of ball. Would have been nice to have 3 man rotation inside.

1 Like

I can’t even bring myself to watch it again. still sick

There were plenty of examples before SMU, and double that many now.

Consistently coming out flat and looking lost is 100% on staff

1 Like

I agree. Why do we look surprised in the first quarter?
It’s like we’re playing the wrong team each week.

Please elaborate

Here’s one, the DC can’t make a commitment whether he want’s to blitz or play soft zone. Each week the secondary is looking lost at trying to figure out their assignments and teams take advantage of the numerous blown coverages. Meanwhile SMU(since it’s our most recent game and many still see them as inferior) knew exactly what they wanted to do going in. They filled the run gaps, gave a handful of blitzes and only gave up underneath routes. They knew what they wanted to do before the game, and they did it. We didn’t know what we wanted to do, and did little. That’s what being out-coached is.

2 Likes

SMU loss still hurts. The explanation on why CMA went run heavy upto the fourth may be utter BS. Kendal and King can pass the ball on anyone, anyhow and anytime if the want to. Was that locker room divided before the game. Did CMA’s decision not to play Ed affect the team’s chemistry or did latters decision to sit affect the game plan. Is there friction between the two leaders that is affecting the teams dynamics.
Again , possibly stupidly overreacting here and venting , but what I saw was a team determined to lose.

2 Likes

I admire your passion, but you obviously have too much time on your hands.
“…a team determined to lose”???

And now there’s a coaching conspiracy???

And a divided locker room???

Please. Hope your well deserved frustration from losing a game we should have won will end with a couple of stiff drinks and a good night’s sleep.:neutral_face:

1 Like

I think what he was saying by a team determined to lose is that the Coogs go in their own way last weekend. Therefore we determined our own outcome, a loss. The divided locker room line is maybe suggesting some players are fully bought in and some aren’t.

They’ve divided the week after beating a ranked team? I’ve never seen a base make such excuses for a team that just didn’t play well. It’s like most of you have never played sports or watched football. Maybe all you have had a stroke after the heat of day games.

4 Likes

Not saying I agree. I was explaining what Acres might have been saying.

Xsmith
Don’t agree…shocker. But seriously here’s why
Both blown coverages vs SMU where not issues with confusion between players.
Anderson blew coverage inside 5…it was a good play call . Anderson had the TE…he blocked down…which is Anderson key…but Anderson didn’t even commit to run. He just stays in nowhere land. The TE releases from block and slips out. He can’t leave TE until he sure it’s a run. His alignment was bad before snap or he would have been in position to cover it.
The last TD was IJ again. It was Cover 3. Was a 1 man route to his side. He has deep 1/3. QB doesn’t even pump fake…IJ decides it’s a slant, plants and explodes to ball…WR runs slant and go…TD.
That’s just IJ being IJ. These aren’t complicated coverages. Just guys need to do their job. The D played a great 3rd qtr before that play. QB never pumped…just waited for route be run. IJ guessed

I was at the game and remember a different situation entirely. I think we’re not talking about the same plays. Where is the safety help in cover 3? Were we in single-high? Even if there is one WR on his side of the ball the safety should be over there. They shouldn’t shift in zone.