CUSA-Sun Belt merger?

It’s inevitable: Conference USA as we know it is going to change

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/it-s-inevitable-conference-usa-as-we-know-it-is/article_19e86f15-f21e-53f4-8868-505de84abcf2.html

Several C-USA athletic officials I called would not speak on the record, but Middle Tennessee State’s Chris Massaro did. And his take, while diplomatic, was pragmatic.

“It’s inevitable that there’s going to be some kind of consolidation among the Group of Five,” he said. “I don’t think we’re there yet, but eventually we will be.”

Given both conferences are the same level of competition and get the same TV money (basically nothing) it sounds like a good idea on paper. CUSA West can cover take in Texas State and the Louisianas and Arkansas State and keep the CUSA name, and the rump Sun Belt can absorb CUSA East. No more El Paso to Norfolk nor San Marcos to South Carolina.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ve seen this floated at times, but didn’t know the conferences were discussing it. Honestly, it’s a great idea…CUSA and the Sun Belt should try to go to a more regional setup instead of being spread out like the American.

One conference:
North Texas
Rice
UTSA
UTEP
Texas State
ULL
ULM
Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss
MTSU
WKU
Arkansas State

Two Conference:
Appalachian State
Old Dominion
Marshall
Coastal Carolina
Charlotte
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
FIU
FAU
UAB
South Alabama
Troy

5 Likes

Good idea.

Makes too much sense to actually happen.

I would not want to be a part of that…