D’eriq King - update

Pretty tough to see how poorly King’s season is unfolding. Wished he would have stayed, but never begrudged him for looking out for his personal growth. In hindsight, maybe staying here would have been better for him? (From a football only view)

1 Like

After his injury, he is still a good athlete but not the unstoppable dynamic runner he was at UH. His competition is also much stiffer. Hope they turn their season around.

King left before our Big12 invite. Wonder if that might have made a difference? I am hoping we can develop our program and staff to the point where good players do not want to transfer.

I don’t think Dana and King was a good fit. Especially seeing how he refuses to run tune a lot even tho he’s literally our best record runner.

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, op. Feel bad for the kid.

Who is he?

4 Likes

Quitter

10 Likes

Yep it’s unfortunate how the season is turning out for him. He is very injury prone, listed at 5’11 but really looks to be 5’9, inaccurate passer, and his speed hasn’t been the same since his ACL tear.

I was always a fan of King, but I don’t see him making it to the NFL (which is why he left UH) even as a WR. Too small and not quick enough. He really had a frustrating college experience, and I blame Tom Herman for that. He had no consistency in his coaching staffs. This is the first time in his college career that he had the same OC two years in a two. He was just handed really bad luck.

I hope he’s saving that NIL money… and I hope he doesn’t have to pay any of it back if it’s dependent on performance.

2 Likes

King got his degree so in my opinion he is a Cougar, however I am disappointed he left us and I am enjoying the fact Miami is not performing well.

10 Likes

I dont think this Big12 invite would have influenced him at all. Crazy to think about, but he was around during the dog-n-pony Big12 charade of 2016.

I disagree on the Dana take. I think he would have flourished, as Dana has forced himself to commit so heavily to Tune. Wouldn’t have needed to with King.

Also very sad to see all that he has gone through. I had money on him to win the Heisman too! :expressionless:

Saw him play from the field in a high school playoff game his sophomore year at Manvel… kid was absolutely electric, but definitely not taller than 5’9”.

“King got his degree” As a football fan I did not like that King left, BUT UH did it’s job and he got his degree. To me that is the PRIMARY function of college no matter which way you cut it. I wish success for King in all his efforts.

13 Likes

F him

3 Likes

Good thing he got his degree…He will never play pro ball…on top of that…he quit on his brothers

8 Likes

Maybe he can find another redshirt and come home??

1 Like

He is no Greg Ward.

9 Likes

He is also no Clayton Tune :rofl:

1 Like

Years ago during a Cougar walk, as D’Eriq walked by I tapped him on the shoulder and said, “score a touchdown”. He turned back, looked at me and nodded.

I’m about 5-9 myself. So yeah, he’s about 5-9ish.

I was disappointed to see him go and how that whole situation played out. He’s a UH grad and gave us memorable moments on the FB field. I don’t care for Miami, but I don’t wish him any ill. Hope it works out for him and his family.

8 Likes

Yup. I might have used more colorful verbiage, but I agree with this position.

King is a great kid. He’s just not an elite level quarterback.

2 Likes